Difference in Setup

Aztlan

2[H]4U
Is there a difference in setup between a router and a hub?

i am asking because at home (permament) i have a router (a Netgear one) connected to a dsl modem, and it is easy to set up, just connect the cables from the other computers to each of the ports that a router contains, and the pc's can access the internet

Now since i am attending university in another place, i am renting a room of a house.
the owners have cable and they will let me use it. but i dont have internet yet ,because they have a hub for networking, i tried the same setup procedure as i did with the router, connect the cables to their proper location, but i cant access, neither of the pc's cant when they are connected to the hub.

the hub is linksyss (sp) one

so is there a difference in setup?

Thanks

Originally posted by Aztlan
Is there a difference in setup between a router and a hub?

i am asking because at home (permament) i have a router (a Netgear one) connected to a dsl modem, and it is easy to set up, just connect the cables from the other computers to each of the ports that a router contains, and the pc's can access the internet

Now since i am attending university in another place, i am renting a room of a house.
the owners have cable and they will let me use it. but i dont have internet yet ,because they have a hub for networking, i tried the same setup procedure as i did with the router, connect the cables to their proper location, but i cant access, neither of the pc's cant when they are connected to the hub.

the hub is linksyss (sp) one

so is there a difference in setup?

Thanks

basicly you need a router. You could just get a garage sail computer and setup dhcp on a linux machine if you want or you can go out and get a router. Or just tell landlords they need to buy a router. It's not possible to connect more machines through a hub unless you have a router connected to the lan as well.

basicly it'd have to go like this. cable modem box, router, then to the hub. Then you can run cat5 from the hub to all computers in the house.

Originally posted by darkmyth
basicly you need a router. You could just get a garage sail computer and setup dhcp on a linux machine if you want or you can go out and get a router. Or just tell landlords they need to buy a router. It's not possible to connect more machines through a hub unless you have a router connected to the lan as well.

basicly it'd have to go like this. cable modem box, router, then to the hub. Then you can run cat5 from the hub to all computers in the house.

oh ok, That explains alot
i think i will have to go out and buy the router instead,

thanks for the reply :)

oh ok, That explains alot
i think i will have to go out and buy the router instead,

thanks for the reply :)

no problem. I'll watch this thread for your progress. Tell me if it all works out alright. I can also tell you how to make your own router and default gateway with a garage sale computer.

but then again if you don't want to spend the time to do that i'd say just go out and get a router.

I bought the router alright, I am going to return it, good thing i didnt open it

the landlords now tell me that it is a router (I my-self am not sure what it is since i didnt look at it closely), and that they need to setup this and that something about membrane (sp) their saying is mess up
so i think i am going to wait, not eager to get the internet

do you think is a router that cannot automatically detect the ip from the isp or what

I bought the router alright, I am going to return it, good thing i didnt open it

the landlords now tell me that it is a router (I my-self am not sure what it is since i didnt look at it closely), and that they need to setup this and that something about membrane (sp) their saying is mess up
so i think i am going to wait, not eager to get the internet

do you think is a router that cannot automatically detect the ip from the isp or what

could be that the router is not configured right and is not handing out ip's to the lan network via dhcp. You might want to tell them to get a new one or you can setup a redhat linux box and default gateway for cheap with my tutorial that I just wrote up.

You can find my thread at:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=754556

ok, i ask them what kind of router was it, and is this one

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-001&depa=0

so there must be another thing causing the problems

i'll let them figure out themselves

oh damn, i shouldnt have given away my old pc
oh well
nice tutorial

could be a bad port. You try a differen't one? also tell them to use the manual and go into the setup area for the router. mostlikely they didn't do something right in there.

Back