Difference between White LED Backlight and RGB LED Backlight

Hi, as you guys know there are two types of LED Backlights, White and RGB. Anyone know the difference between the two and which one is better? Most LED Backlights are White Backlights such as the new 24" HD Apple Cinema Display. My friend told me that RGB LED Backlights give a much improved color reproduction while White do not, is my friend correct? any info is greatly appreciated.

RGB LEDs allow the white point to be adjusted in the backlight itself, so shades aren't lost and full contrast is retained. White LEDs cannot be changed, so the white point can only be altered through the panel. White LEDs aren't a problem if the white point is close enough to where you want it anyway. I wouldn't expect RGB LEDs to be used in consumer monitors since they cost more.

I wouldn't expect RGB LEDs to be used in consumer monitors since they cost more.

Dell uses RGB LED in their new notebooks.
Anand has an article about it, reporting higher color gamut than any notebook LCD, even higher than some desktop LCDs.

yes, RGB LED will provide more colors than white LEDs. But it's completely wasted on cheap TN panels, and you'll need more color depth for smoother gradient.

Chrysaor said:
Dell uses RGB LED in their new notebooks.
Anand has an article about it, reporting higher color gamut than any notebook LCD, even higher than some desktop LCDs.
So that means very oversaturated and intense colors. I don't understand why they would bother. Being a laptop, it probably doesn't offer white point control, so it seems a bit pointless. I don't understand why manufacturers are pushing for wider and wider gamuts on consumer screens, especially on a notebook screen that's most likely a TN panel. This makes no sense to me.

... its not like TN technology doesnt change though.... since its the cheapest and acceptable quality, why cant they fine tune it to be really good quality and still keep costs down? theyve nearly done it already, most people think TN screens are great.

Are the RGB LEDs three discrete LEDs put next to each other? It was always my understanding that there are no true "white" LEDs- the white LEDs are really a three layer LED one layer each for red, blue, and green since LEDs can only emit one wavelength of light at a time and there is Boone wavelength for "white".

Most LED backlit displays use white LEDs at the moment as it is cheaper. The NEC Spectraview Reference 21 uses RGB LEDs and is horrendously expensive - currently listed as having an recommended price of £3400 excluding VAT on NEC's website.

HP LP2480zx also has RGB LEDs. They really have to :) I think any monitor with adjustable internal LUT should have RGB LEDs instead of just white. Or not?

Back