difference between Venice and Orleans?

Whipsmack

Gawd
The stats are identical and prices are almost the same. Whats the difference?

Thanks

oh boy..

a quick search will net you thousands upon thousand of hits... google.

if you dont know what DDR2 is then you really shouldnt be asking questions about cores, since you have other things that you obviously should learn about first.

It is a kind of memory, Dual Data Rate 2, which runs at faster speeds and higher latencies than DDR 1.

Intel has been using chipsets that support DDR2 for about a year or more now, but AMD saw no reason to switch to DDR2 until now, so they have finally altered the memory controller in the K8 to support this newer iteration of Dual Data Rate Synchronous Data Random Access Memory.

Basically, DDR2=DDR with lower voltages, higher speeds, looser latency.

If you already have a motherboard, chances are you have a 939 motherboard, and really, there's not much reason to upgrade at this point, so go with Venice.

If you are building from scratch, I'll go out on a limb and say that you should get the Orleans and use an AM2 Motherboard and DDR2, as DDR2 is being produced more and more and prices continue to fall, perhaps below DDR1 prices.

CEREAL_KILLER said:
if you dont know what DDR2 is then you really shouldnt be asking questions about cores, since you have other things that you obviously should learn about first.

That's not necessary bud. Might as well help the fella. You didn't contribute anything but waste to this, perhaps discouraging him from posting here.

Also, in your sig, it says you have Kingston Value RAM. That's DDR, not DDR2, for example. The P4P800 supports only DDR RAM, not DDR2.

apHytHiaTe said:
That's not necessary bud. Might as well help the fella. You didn't contribute anything but waste to this, perhaps discouraging him from posting here.

wasnt meaning to be discouraging, just that there are more obvious things to learn about before asking for core comparisons if thats a question you need to ask...

as a means of contributing to this conversation, id like to say if your buying a new rig from the ground up you want to go with something that Supports DDR2 as it seems to be where things are going. if your just doing an upgrade to a current system, you are going to be limited to what your board currently supports.

apHytHiaTe said:
DDR2 is being produced more and more and prices continue to fall, perhaps below DDR1 prices.
midrange ddr2 is already cheaper.. not sure on value. high end, ddr2 is still more expensive by a long shot :p

I appreciate the replies. I'm sorta building a 2nd system from scratch but even a cruddy computer costs too much :( I might as well go all out.

Usually people build better, and turn their current system into their cruddy system :)

Back