Difference between uping FSB and multiplier

Hedger72

n00b
...is there an advantage of one over the other? Disadvantage? Best practice? What exactly is the difference. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Hedger

Google is your friend. :rolleyes:

The FSB is how fast the data moves between parts of the system.

High FSB is good.

Mutliplier is how many times faster the chip is running than the FSB.

Quite simple.

This also belongs in General Hardware.

Also, all things being equal, a cpu running with a higher FSB will run a bit hotter than a cpu running the same clock speed but with a lower FSB.

Originally posted by Kolya
Also, all things being equal, a cpu running with a higher FSB will run a bit hotter than a cpu running the same clock speed but with a lower FSB.

Would you care to do the math to back that up, since you're wrong?

The Northbridge will run hotter, yes. The CPU will not.

Semiconductor physics lesson later if you kids behave.

Originally posted by mwarps
Would you care to do the math to back that up, since you're wrong?

Semiconductor physics lesson later if you kids behave.
No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was just speaking from my personal experiences.

Originally posted by Kolya
No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was just speaking from my personal experiences.

That's okay, I'm feeling frisky today. I'm wearing silk boxers. :p

Wouldn't upping the FSB fry the PCI and/or AGP slots? And on newer mobos with locked PCI and AGP bus speeds, wouldn't it still overclock the memory when upping the FSB? Since the memory speed is based on the FSB:Memory ratio? :D

I'm feeling nerdy today. ;)

Originally posted by Matt Welke
Wouldn't upping the FSB fry the PCI and/or AGP slots? And on newer mobos with locked PCI and AGP bus speeds, wouldn't it still overclock the memory when upping the FSB? Since the memory speed is based on the FSB:Memory ratio? :D

I'm feeling nerdy today. ;)

the FSB is a bus

PCI is a bus

the PCI bus is connected to the FSB

not the individual slots

Originally posted by mwarps

the FSB on the AMD64 line is on the cpu die so it WILL get hot in that case

It is better to achive the max in FSB with a low multiplyer, than lower the FSB and Raise the multiplyer untill the over all speed evans out. That will help you achive the best overall OC. The FSB is used for how fast the RAM is communating with the rest of the compter and it is inportant to have that high so that alot of information can go thought the bus to get to the CPU, the more info that can get to the CPU the more work can get done over the long hall.

Originally posted by cbakey
It is better to achive the max in FSB with a low multiplyer, than lower the FSB and Raise the multiplyer untill the over all speed evans out. That will help you achive the best overall OC. The FSB is used for how fast the RAM is communating with the rest of the compter and it is inportant to have that high so that alot of information can go thought the bus to get to the CPU, the more info that can get to the CPU the more work can get done over the long hall.

Excellent! This is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Originally posted by Terminus

There is no FBS on the K8 line of CPUs....rather a HyperTransport link. Read the FAQ about it.

Apparently we need to address the subject of this thread in a FAQ or something, because many of you are wrong or miss informed. A good job goes out to cbakey for his description in simple terms.

mwarps: I think you need to do that semiconductor physics class soon, nothing too hard, they are not EEs. :p
O and you cant post anymore, as you are 1337 :cool:

That is a different discussion.
In the case of the K8, the HT speed is run on a divider of the CPU clock speed. Assuming you leave the CPU clock the same and lower the divider for a higher HT speed, the CPU temp would be about the same. Overclocking the CPU is the only way this would increase the temps.

In general systems, northbridge and CPU being separate, overclocking the FSB *may* increase the CPU temp a bit as the CPU is getting more data to work with, this is the benefit of a higher FSB. If the CPU can recieve more data to work with using a higher FSB it follows that more work is done, more transistors going, less stalls in the pipe waiting for data. The CPU temp can go up a bit with a higher fsb, but it is still more a function of the CPU doing more work rather than the FSB directly causing a temp increase.

So, in the end, a FSB increase is more efficient than a multiplier increase. Just don't bring the FSB too high, or you'll go too high for the memory to handle.

Originally posted by Matt Welke
So, in the end, a FSB increase is more efficient than a multiplier increase. Just don't bring the FSB too high, or you'll go too high for the memory to handle.
For best results, OC the CPU first, find the max, then keep it around that speed by lowering multi and upping the FSB until you find the max.

I wish my board was stable over 137... :rolleyes:

Have ya tried this out, can ya get back to me with the results? I'd love to know how we're violating the laws of physics this week.

The portion of the chip that deals with the actual clock interface is *so small* compared to the rest of the chip that the heat difference is entirely negligible, milliwatts at worst.

Originally posted by CentronMe
There is no FBS on the K8 line of CPUs....rather a HyperTransport link. Read the FAQ about it.

Apparently we need to address the subject of this thread in a FAQ or something, because many of you are wrong or miss informed. A good job goes out to cbakey for his description in simple terms.

mwarps: I think you need to do that semiconductor physics class soon, nothing too hard, they are not EEs. :p
O and you cant post anymore, as you are 1337 :cool:

But but but. Aww come on! :D :p

I'll start writing one up for a FAQ/sticky. Maybe relic will be kind enough to plop it up there.

We'll see.

The weekend awaits!

Back