difference between these two parts

wayne

2[H]4U
are pots the same thing as rheostats?...
this topic has more to do with electronics so i m not sure if its supposed to be in General Hardware..but if its not, then mods, please move it

thanks

...both are variable resistors. "Rheostats" typically handle far more current than a "potentiometer"...but the difference is largely semantics.

Regards - B.B.S.

Although very similar, I think technically a rheostat is the basic 2 terminal device, with an open ended resistor and a wiper, while a potentiometer is the 3 terminal device with connections at both ends of the resistor and the wiper.

A potentiometer can be wired as a rheostat by wiring the wiper to one end of the resistor.

...that picture of a "rheostat" sure looks like a potentiometer with one terminal unconnected.....:rolleyes:

You are correct in that rheostat's are typically two terminal devices, while pots are typically three terminal devices.

Like I said, it's largely semantics.......

B.B.S.

I agree it's semantics, I think the rheostat is the older father of the pot from way back in the day, when the 3rd terminal wasn't required for the uses at the time.

If I remember, I'll stop by jk electronics and take some pics of real rheostats. There are some beefy mofos over there.

Hrmm I know I can dig up some potentiometers.. does anyone know why I usually end up with smoke when I try to reduce the voltage of something lets say a fan with a potentiometer?
If I follow the basic ideas of that site above about Potentiometers it is suppose to work right? or will I need a voltage regulator in combination with that or something of that sort?

Originally posted by awdark
Hrmm I know I can dig up some potentiometers.. does anyone know why I usually end up with smoke when I try to reduce the voltage of something lets say a fan with a potentiometer?
If I follow the basic ideas of that site above about Potentiometers it is suppose to work right? or will I need a voltage regulator in combination with that or something of that sort?
The ideal situation would be an LM317 or similar part with a potentiometer on the adjustment leg. Just the pot in series with the fan ought to do something, though. Are you sure it rated for the current the fan pulls?

Originally posted by awdark

I have a page for you to read...

http://lbccsec.com/general_upload/LM317T.htm

Your solution should work though as long as you have the right rated pot. When I get a chance, I'll measure the pots on my vantec fans. See what they used. They're not large pots, but definetely have some metal to dissipate a little bit of heat. Not the tiny trimmer pots or anything.

Hope this helped

Back