• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Difference between the GT and the Ultra

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
1,220
Granted, there are probably many other posts regarding this, but I'm at work, and too lazy to look it up. What are the differences between the 6800GT OC vs. the 6800Ultra OC, besides clock speed. If I'm not mistake, they are both running the same chipset, ram speed, and same number of pipelines. If thats is truely the case, Why not just go for the GT?
 
they are basically the same, but diffrent clocks like you said.

the GT could, and most likely, hit ultra speeds (400-425)..but it probally cant get the speeds the ultra can oc to. i also think that the ultra and GT are using two diffrent kinds of memory, and the ultra seems to have the better memory, so you can probally oc it much further.

not 100% sure on that memory part tho.

edit:
this might help...

The 6800GT uses Samsung 2.0ns (500Mhz) memory. The 6800u uses the more expensive Samsung 1.6ns (600Mhz) memory.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772007
 
Sigh.. so I continue to wait for the elusive BFG 6800 OC, and yet Nvidia apparently states that the NV48 is due out in a few months.. I guess I go back to waiting either way
 
HyperTension said:
Sigh.. so I continue to wait for the elusive BFG 6800 OC, and yet Nvidia apparently states that the NV48 is due out in a few months.. I guess I go back to waiting either way

LOL, i justread that too, that has to be the stupidist press release I've ever heard about, lol. CAn't find their current product anywhere and they are already talking about thenext one? I feel like Nvidia or someone should help out with this massive shortage on the Ultras and the XTs (well, not nvidia for the xt's, but youget my point...doh, stupid missing spaces!).

Anyway, i'mpissedcauseican't buy anultra.
 
HyperTension said:
Sigh.. so I continue to wait for the elusive BFG 6800 OC, and yet Nvidia apparently states that the NV48 is due out in a few months.. I guess I go back to waiting either way

lol it is kinda a hard decision, buy now and spend 400/500 dollars on a card, or wait about 3-5 months for the new stuff lol. and then, the circle continues again. hmmm... what would jesus do? :p :p :p
 
My eVga 6800GT hit 420/1150 right out of the box, an entire night of beating on it, no lockups. I am going to try for 435 after swapping out the thermal pad for AS.

sure, the ultra could hit 450 or possibly higher, but is it worth the extra power requirement, or dual slot? I know for some it is.

I have an ice-cube SFF w/ only 220w PS. The GT is amazing so far. 3.0C, 1 gig ram, dvd burner, 250 gig HD, and the OC'd 6800GT without a problem. Farcry, Painkiller, Max Payne 2, UT2004, all @ 1600x1200 max settings are great to play.

3dmark2003 12,310
 
so what are people going to turn to for added cooling on the 6800GT's ... I want one yesterday. I have the money for one but I really want the BFG OC too .. like everyone else and their mom.
 
Reference/stock speeds:

6800 Ultra
$499 MSRP
16x1 Pipeline
400mhz core
1100mhz memory
256MB GDDR3 RAM
256-bit memory bus
Shader Model 3.0
Full hardware video encode/decode
AGP 8x
Dual Slot
Dual Molex
Dual DVI, Svideo
~12000-12500 3dmarks

6800 GT
$399 MSRP
16x1 pipeline
350mhz core
1000mhz memory
256MB GDDR3 RAM
256-bit memory bus
Shader Model 3.0
Full hardware video encode/decode
AGP 8x
Single Slot
Single Molex
DVI, VGA, Svideo
~11000-11500 3dmarks

The 6800GT is essentially a 6800U at a lower core and memory speed. The architecture is identical, so most have no problem overclocking a 6800GT to 6800U speeds without any modding at all.
 
Back
Top