Difference between Symantec Anti Virus & Norton Anti Virus?

RichTJ99

n00b
Hi all,

I was hoping that someone could tell me the difference between Symantec Anti Virus & Norton Anti Virus. They seem to be made by the same company but seem to be two different applications. Is one better than the other? Is one of them easier on the system than another? Symantec anti virus looks to have less of a "footprint" on the system.

Is this the case?

I have also heard some say SAV is better than NAV (or vice versa). Is there somewhere to read up on the differences between the two?

Thanks,
Rich

Uhm

Norton Antivirus is usually for home use, where as Symantic Antivirus is usually the corporate version.

NAV has a 1 year subscription that you gotta pay for on a year to year basis.

SAV has unlimited subscriptions.

So as far as protection go, NAV & SAV are identical? If so, why is NAV so "bloated"?

I was refering to SAV Corp (what they use in the office here) vs NAV home (what I have at home).

So, aside from the subscription differences, is the protection level the same?

Why would they make NAV so bloated & SAV so streamlined?

All I know is that a sreamlined product that good enough for a Company, means they have put much more effort in writing of the software, as oppose to Norton which stuff just get added & added, causing senseless loops in programs eating up resources, causing you to grab your money for more capable hardware, and so on.

All I know is that a sreamlined product that good enough for a Company -

In a corp environment, isnt there likely a server anti virus dection software in place? Is SAV more of a back up AV program? Is it as stand alone as NAV?

RichTJ99 said:
All I know is that a sreamlined product that good enough for a Company -

In a corp environment, isnt there likely a server anti virus dection software in place?
probably for email, but a server based AV software for checking files as they are accessed I do not believe would work.

Norton is the home product you get at Best Buy.
Symantec is the corporate version which can be contolled by a centralized server.

I prefer Symantec over Norton. It is waaaay less intrusive IMO. You can use it as a stand-alone product without a server and it runs just like NAV. I don't know what the cost would be for one license of SAV, but I'm betting it's more than NAV.

As far as protection wise I would imagine they are equal, but I have no proof.

Plug for NOD32, best scanner out there, but it does cost ~$40 a year, very small footprint though.

I would also like to know if there is a difference in detection capabilities between the two.

Cheers.

Over the years I have used both. SAV is definately less intrusive, and I've experienced much fewer problems with SAV than NAV. Unlimited updates alone makes it worth it to me. I doubt it's possible to buy a single user license for SAV though.

we use SAV at work, and its actually the best virus protection tool (mainly for email) ive seen to date. It updates from our server without any work from our stupid employees or me. Even has the server software which is great to see what people are doing.

I dont know about using it for personal use, but the network use isnt bad..

just my little opinion of course.

I'm a sysadmin and use SAV through out my networks.
I have to head servers to push defs out to the desktops, that's the big difference is central administration and policy settings.

With sav I set it so the end user can't turn off autoprotect and can't uninstall.
I can also push install the client.

SAV and NAV use the same engine to detect viruses.

>Br@d

what are you guys talkin about i thought norton was made by symantec. hah and i believe symantec av does deep scans as opposed to quick scans that norton antivirus does.

If you had a choice, SAV is the best choice, as it provides the same (if not better) protection and takes up like 1/4th of the system resources. And as long as nod32 was mentioned in this thread, it is a very good program. Not trying to thread jack or anything buy if any students are thinking about buying a NOD32 license, buy it from www.nod23-av.com . They offer student licenses for $20, instead of the $40 and NOD32 charges.

SAV is definitely superior to NAV. I use SAV at work for all my servers and users (Netware and M$).

The client is much less intrusive and doesn't bog down a system like NAV does.
Symantec persists in following the M$ model of useless animations and endless "Are you sure?" queries in their home products.
Not so in the corporate world. Updates can be daily, weekly, or monthly. Scheduled scans can be set to run "under the radar" and detection notification is quick and simple.

All that being said, the pieces still tie up about 35 meg of RAM, so it's still a bit of a porker.

arkamw, you said NOD32 had a small footprint; How big is it ?

If you want to stick with Symantec, my suggestion:
Get 10 friends together and buy a 10-user version of SAV 9 for around $285, or a 5-user version for about $150. Do a search on "shopper.cnet.com" for Symantec's part number 10231589 (10 user) or 10231590 (5 user).

The purchase includes a one-year of upgrade support and, like maxelhombre said, the virus definition updates are for as long as they support the product.

SAV may not be the greatest, but it works very well and Symantec seems to be much more sane when it comes to their corporate products than their "home" stuff.

No, I don't work for Symantec... I just hate seeing people spend so much money on crappy a-v software.

Gathagan, IIRC, it'll eat up about 15MB in memory while active, ~6MB download, then definition updates. Please take that w/ a grain of salt. If you want me to get exact numbers, I can but not in front of the machine right now. It's caught a few that NAV ignored and Mcafee couldn't name.

The other thing that I appreciate is the GUI, which is very clean and simple and fast. The GUI is one of the main complaints that I have against versions of NAV. It's bulky, unwieldy, and slow to do anything.

Haven't used SAV though, so I can't give a real comparison.

Cheers.

The older versions of SAV did provide for unlimited updates, however starting with version 8, corporate editions now require yearly subscription updates in order to continue using them. Liveupdate will not work until you install a license file and subsequently will stop working unless you purchase yearly updates.

Meh, I just use the 2005 Norton version... It's memory footprint may be larger but I have RAM to spare (unless I'm working with my photos but after a while I inevitably end up with a lot of PF usage anyway) and it works just fine.

It's control panel loads a tad slow but otherwise it's pretty unobtrusive and easy to tweak, this year's version also has the settings organized way more logically than it has in the past. Bought a 3-license pack deal for me, roomate, and sister.

Does the Symantec corporate version monitor e-mail without having communication to a central server? How 'bout IM stuff (not that it works over here since I use Trilliian anyway and not the standard clients). Is there a corporate firewall version as well?

I use the corporate edition at work like most people. Two of the reason why the corporate edition is better for business is:

A. You can have one managed served. This means that all clients in your network, if setup, will get their virus updates from this server. It reduces the amount of internet traffic. Microsoft's SUS would be a good comparison.

B. I can install corporate edition on any client computer on my network from the main managed server. No need to run around to each computer to install.

SJConsultant said:
The older versions of SAV did provide for unlimited updates, however starting with version 8, corporate editions now require yearly subscription updates in order to continue using them. Liveupdate will not work until you install a license file and subsequently will stop working unless you purchase yearly updates.

I didn't think that applied to clients.
Even if you *do* have to pay, a five-user yearly maintenance isn't going to be any more expensive than the "home" version.

Impulse said:
Does the Symantec corporate version monitor e-mail without having communication to a central server? How 'bout IM stuff (not that it works over here since I use Trilliian anyway and not the standard clients). Is there a corporate firewall version as well?
Yes, an unmanaged client runs independently.
The client can be set up as managed (gets all updates from a network server) or unmanaged. You can set up unmanaged clients to update automatically from the Symantec website.
SAV does not monitor IM.
There is a corporate firewall, but I don't use it. Our firewalls are all hardware-based.

gathagan said:
I didn't think that applied to clients.
Even if you *do* have to pay, a five-user yearly maintenance isn't going to be any more expensive than the "home" version.

Basically you obtain a license file from Symantec which covers the managed clients as well, unmanaged clients require a manual installation of the license file.

The renewal pricing is comparable to that of the consumber version per PC.

eTrust Corporate Promo baby.... does what SAV does, small footprint AND free :D

Install from server if not installed yet, updates from the server everyday, server auto updates itself from the net every six hours, two scan engines(Vet and InocIT), this software rox...

QJ

So comparing NAV 2005 vs SAV 9.0 Corp, SAV sounds like it is the winner.

Again, i want to confirm, they use the same engine, so they coverege is the same. They both scan emails, scan compressed files, but do they both have automatic live update?

Back