Difference Between Student Edition and Regular

EhJayKim

Limp Gawd
Hey, i'm about to buy office for my new computer and am looking at the Student edition. Why is it so much cheaper to get student rather than regular ($334 vs $125)? Is the student edition lacking some parts of the standard? Thanks.

you have to provide valid Student ID to buy the version. they are full versions. lol I think it's mainly an attempt to keep poor college kids from just downloading the software they want ;)

plus with the student and teacher edition, you can legally install it on up to 3 computers

Can it be activated an unlimited number of times if it is only on one computer? Just asking because I have powerpoint (standard retail) and after I activated it 3 times it said that I can no longer activate it because it has been activated to many times for its liscense. Thanks.

You should always be able to reinstall a program on the same computer. Contact info for MS is provided to resolve the issue you've mentioned.

Also many times student or education versions dont come with manuals or not full manuals since you are supposed to buy it to learn it during a class :)

If you are enrolled at a university, check to see if your school as a Microsoft Academic Alliance. At my school you can pick up almost any MS product for $7 a disk, or if you are enrolled in a computer science class, it's free.

Good stuff.

Another thing worth noting on the student versions. They are not upgradable. So when a new version of office comes out, you'll have to purchase a full version and not an upgrade.

theDot said:
If you are enrolled at a university, check to see if your school as a Microsoft Academic Alliance. At my school you can pick up almost any MS product for $7 a disk, or if you are enrolled in a computer science class, it's free.

Good stuff.

All my MS products are $5.....

The two versions are the same, but only Teachers, Students, Parents of Students, etc... are supposed to buy it. Most places that aren't in a school won't bother to check ID's. I've seen articles where people from MS have said that the retail versions of Office are mostly for businesses and they don't mind people in homes using the Student/Teacher edition.

Is the Academic Alliance only at Universities or High Schools too? Thanks...but I'll check into it.

Back