Difference between SATA cables?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an Asus Sabertooth motherboard and it has a Marvel 6.0Gbps controller on it. I currently had a hdd plugged into it and I'd experience Windows freezes once in a while, usually coming back from S3 sleep. I finally re installed Windows and figured out it was NOT Windows causing the problem. I investigated and think I found it. I have several SATA cables I just throw in a box. Some are red, some are yellow. I had a red SATA cable connecting the Marvel to an Intel SSD. Using Drive Fitness Test, it occurred to me that the Marvel controller didn't like those red SATA cables where as the Intel 3.0Gbps controller thought they were fine. Is there a speed rating or difference from cable to cable? I always figured they were the same.

You shouldn't use that marvel controller for an OS drive, especially not an SSD, performance is not up to par with the Intel controller of your mobo.

You shouldn't use that marvel controller for an OS drive, especially not an SSD, performance is not up to par with the Intel controller of your mobo.

That is useful info. The Marvel is 6.0Gbps and the Intel is 3.0Gbps but I doubt that would matter anyway because the drive is 3.0Gbps.

My advice stands even with a 6Gbps drive, that controller (or any cheap one like it) just slows down SSDs.

Back