Difference between Routers?

CNV

n00b
Pardon my ignorance... but what are the difference between routers?! Searching the forums I found recommended ones, but what makes them better then the other? Looking at Dlinks and Netgear's website, they are a lot of routers to choose from. My DSL modem has wireless, so I never had the need for a router, but now I'm setting up a second computer downstairs.

I'm sure they will all get the job done, but I'm just curious and want to know what makes the next one up better.

I'll let others answer the question between routers. Each poster here will have their preferences, mine being Netgear (home) and Sonicwall (small/medium business). I have not dealt with large scale or corporate-level routers (ie: Cisco).

As to your DSL modem comments about it having WiFi, my guess is that it already has a combination router and switch built-in as well. If you look on the back, you'll probably see some more RJ-45 jacks that you could plug another computer into. Alternatively, if one machine is working fine with wireless, you could just as easily connect more machines over wireless.
What would really help knowing on this point is for you to give the make/model of your DSL box, and any other networking equipment you may be using.

I have an older DSL Modem, and it doesn't have addtional RJ-45 jacks. My girlfriend's modem does, so maybe I can swap with her?

I prefer to have the desktops hard wired because they are primary used for gaming. So what benefits does a.. say... "D-Link DGL-4300" offer that the supplied modem with additional RJ-45 ports doesn't?

The main differences between the cheaper routers, and the higher end home routers would the be the quality of the components which the router is made of. The speed of the cpu in the router, and the amount of ram which it has inside, which will help the router handle more simultaneous connections at a decent speed without crashing. Also some of the more expensive home routers will have more user configurable options such as traffic shaping, and better port forwarding options.

Although as PTNL said, since your modem already has wireless, it may have a router function integrated into it, and all you would need to get is a switch to plug into the one port on the back of it to split the connection to more than one computer. Post the actual brand and model of the modem, and we should be able to tell you what will work best for you.

Also, if you can hack the firmware and run programs off of it. Like the Linksys wrt54g or the Fonera.

I have an older DSL Modem, and it doesn't have addtional RJ-45 jacks. My girlfriend's modem does, so maybe I can swap with her?

I prefer to have the desktops hard wired because they are primary used for gaming. So what benefits does a.. say... "D-Link DGL-4300" offer that the supplied modem with additional RJ-45 ports doesn't?

It offers a hardware firewall and expandability. It will not help your ping at all. The reason everyone recommends this router is because it can withstand torrent traffic where as most other routers crash under the load.

I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HG DSL modem. Can use a y-splitter?

Thanks for the replies. My question was more than answered.

Some routers have the ability to prioritize certain packet types as well. That's actually a big part of what the DGL-4300 does. Though to really get good use out of those features takes more than just plug and play.

if your just wanting a home router from personal expierence I went through 4 linksys routers and my friend went through 1 linksys and a d-link. The above routers dropped internet/wireless constantly to the point to where it was horrid. I and my friend both bought a netgear 30 dollar cheap from office max and can't be more happy. They perform better then the d-link and the linksys router strength of wireless and up time. The stock strength of the netgear is higher than a linksys WITH the super antennas they sell.

Just my personal expierence though.

I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HG DSL modem. Can use a y-splitter?

You can add a network switch. Even an inexpensive gigabit switch, which would speed up transfers between the two computers provided that both of them transmitted significant data, had gigabit NICs, etc., or just look ahead to the future for something like that. E.g. Netgear GS605 -- ~$30 AR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122140

Of course you could just get a 10/100 switch -- that would be simpler and probably a bit cheaper.

So a network swtich links my computers together, and allows the computers to share the internet connection? Does the switch hookup to the modem, so that a computer does not depend on another to be on?

Also, do different routers have better wireless ranges? My wireless connection gets very bad when I'm at the furthest end of my house.

So a network swtich links my computers together, and allows the computers to share the internet connection? Does the switch hookup to the modem, so that a computer does not depend on another to be on?

Yes. {computers} <-> switch <-> gateway

Also, do different routers have better wireless ranges? My wireless connection gets very bad when I'm at the furthest end of my house.

Yes. So do wireless adapters -- it's a two-way problem. The 2wire wireless gateways have a wireless power output option -- using that option, you might be able to increase its power output. The details depend on the particular gateway and the ISP's configuration of that gateway. Even when you can increase the power output, sometimes it doesn't help much, because you might increase the noise as well as the signal, and because increasing the power output of the gateway doesn't do anything about messages going back from the wireless adapter to the gateway.

Back