Difference between R390 vs. R390X? LE versions?

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: I'm in the market for a MSI R390 or R390X for my new 2560x1440 monitor. When looking @ the specs on Newegg they look so similar. Both have 8GB RAM, clocks are just different.

R390 (standard version) @ 1010MHz ($309.99 AR)
R390 (LE version) @ 1000MHz ($319.99) I guess it not on sale

R390X (standard version) @ 1100MHz ($399.99 AR)
R390X (LE version) @ 1060MHz @ ($349.99 AR)

Is it just the clock speed? What's the deal with LE versions? I did a search & it appears it means "Light Edition" Just a lower clock? If it was your money which would you plunk down for?

Any help would be appreciated.

LE its an Exclusive MSI model. lower tier than the Lightning Edition, probably those that never passed the binning process but are better than the Regular Gaming Edition.

about the 390X versus 390. the 390X have extra 256 shaders and 16 texture units and as you found 390X are generally higher clocked... so overall the 390X its faster.. but in my opinion not 120$+ worth over the 390.

Thanks guys for the education. I'm on the ropes about which to score. I'll hold-off until BF & see what that brings. Seems like I could just buy a R390 LE version & bump-up the clock a tad & save $90.00 from the R390X. Again...Thanks for your insight.

Thanks guys for the education. I'm on the ropes about which to score. I'll hold-off until BF & see what that brings. Seems like I could just buy a R390 LE version & bump-up the clock a tad & save $90.00 from the R390X. Again...Thanks for your insight.

Those extra shader and texture units in the 390X will likely be the difference between running medium or high settings in some games.

Hydro: Thanks. Looks like the R390X then. Fingers crossed that NG (or someone else) will have this on a BF sale. I have it loaded on Slickdeals.com

Those extra shader and texture units in the 390X will likely be the difference between running medium or high settings in some games.

Umm no. Not worth spending ~20% extra for an average of ~5% more performance. This won't affect what settings you can choose in a game when performance is that close. Both the 390 and 390X overclock around the same as each other provided you get a card with voltage controls and the same cooler like the MSI models. Some folks are under the illusion the 390X clocks higher but they just come with higher default voltage settings allowing higher clocks without resorting to additional voltage.

OP, I suggest skipping the non X version of the LE and grab the non X MSI Gaming edition card instead. It's only a few bucks more on average and should net you a better binned GPU allowing for higher clocks with less voltage. Actually lately I've seen the Gaming version going for less money than the LE at NewEgg.

You should be able to hit ~1150 with a slight voltage bump.
Both the 390 and 390X Max out around 1200Mhz on air. Of course YMMV with overclocking.

Here's a pretty honest look at the 390 Gaming card.

https://youtu.be/k9cKZiJw6Pk

Good luck!

Last edited:
Everyone thank you so much for your insight. Madpacket: Watched that video & the R390 is temping @ $289.99 (AR) for the Asus STRIX version here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121974&cm_re=r390-_-14-121-974-_-Product

BTW...Last night the Sapphire Nitro (tad long) was the same price. But of course NG plays with prices daily. Today it's more. My case is an Antec Three Hundred Two @ allows a max of 12.5" VC.

I figured something out last night that I never even thought about before. Best Buy. I have 2-$50.00 gift cards in my desk drawer. Plus I received a $10.00 coupon that I received in the mail last week. $110.00 minus $429.99=$319.99 I live in Massachusetts & NH is tax free. Nashua, NH had them in stock (30 minute drive) Went there this morning & picked-up this XFX version here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd...gray/8278075.p?id=1219690434242&skuId=8278075

Not the best R390X but the upside is a "lifetime warranty" because it's thru BB. So...$319.99 gets me the R390X. I'm installing it later today. Thanks again everyone for your help! These boards rock!

that exactly the same reason im thinking of getting the 390 non x there....lifetime warranty!! And from what i understand its as good or better as the other brands.....just doesn't look as fancy as the other 3 fan models

xfx customer service and lifetime warranty are unmatched...you could buy the card..even sell it to a forum member and any and all service (if needed) can be handled thru hardocp pm's...you don't even have to leave this website lol .....or being able to just swap it out in a local store..i don't blame the guy:)

Geez Louise. What a HUGE difference from my old XFX 7870 (2GB) Just installed it. No issues @ all. Got rid of all my old AMD/ATI drivers. Plunked-down the R390X & I'm in business. It rocks my brand new BenQ 32" Bl3200PT display. I bumped it up to 1100MHz without an issue, Stock is 1050MHz.

Never thought about Best Buy for computer products. I had those 2-$50.00 Gift Cards & forgot about them. My old 7870 was an XFX model & I had no issues with it. Lifetime warranty is never a bad thing. The VC isn't super long. Maybe 11" Fits my Antec Three Hundred-Two case which allows 12.5" video card.

http://store.antec.com/gaming-series/three-hundred-two.html#

The card pretty quiet even under load. I can hear it, but it's not a bother @ all. Well...Let's see the BF deals. I might have burned thru my gift cards. We'll see.

Geez Louise. What a HUGE difference from my old XFX 7870 (2GB) Just installed it. No issues @ all. Got rid of all my old AMD/ATI drivers. Plunked-down the R390X & I'm in business. It rocks my brand new BenQ 32" Bl3200PT display. I bumped it up to 1100MHz without an issue, Stock is 1050MHz.

Never thought about Best Buy for computer products. I had those 2-$50.00 Gift Cards & forgot about them. My old 7870 was an XFX model & I had no issues with it. Lifetime warranty is never a bad thing. The VC isn't super long. Maybe 11" Fits my Antec Three Hundred-Two case which allows 12.5" video card.

http://store.antec.com/gaming-series/three-hundred-two.html#

The card pretty quiet even under load. I can hear it, but it's not a bother @ all. Well...Let's see the BF deals. I might have burned thru my gift cards. We'll see.

Funny you typed that. I just mentioned in another thread my XFX DD 290 and how I clocked it to 1100 no fuss from the 947 base. Been great for a year no issues at all. Quality of the card seems quite good. Mentioned even the thermal tape was not quite as crappy as I expected. Still replaced it with my Fujipoly.

Back