Difference between Opteron 870 and Opteron 170

computergeek22

Limp Gawd
What's the difference? Obviously this is purely educational as I would never in my life be able to afford such an expensive processor as the 870. I was merely trying to understand why someone would pay more for the different pin 940 vs 939....

8XX models can be used in (up to and including) 8 way (socket) boards. Imagine 8x 870s on one board...

On the 940 pin Opteron's the first number told how many processors could be used in the same board, i.e., an 800 series can be used in an 8 processor server board, a 400 series can be used with a 4 processor board, etc.

*edit* damn it, too slow again

*edit2* Thanks for the correction everyone, OP, there is no 4 series

meatycheesyboy said:
On the 940 pin Opteron's the first number told how many processors could be used in the same board, i.e., an 800 series can be used in an 8 processor server board, a 400 series can be used with a 4 processor board, etc.

*edit* damn it, too slow again

Actaully there is no 4xx series only 1xx, 2xx, and 8xx. The 8xx series can be used in anything from 4 way systems to essentially infinite. The largest I know of is IBM's hurricane which is upto a 32 way system.

a) What they said. First digit denotes how many other processors (physical sockets) can be addressed. (Meatycheesyboy: no 4xx series AFAIK, only 1xx, 2xx, and 8xx). Simply put, more sockets require more HyperTransport channels, since each processor needs a dedicated channel to communicate with each other processor. (Edit: Bloody hell, beaten to the punch!)

b) 940 requires server-grade RAM, which is of far higher tolerance than regular Enthusiast RAM. If you've ever heard of Registered or Buffered RAM, this is exactly where it comes into play. 939 just uses good ol' gamer RAM, making it much cheaper but much more prone to failure.

to clean everything up:

1xx series: avail in s939/s940 formats. target: workstation, entry level servers. not MP enabled.

2xx series: avail in s940 format only. target: high end workstation, entry/mid level servers. 2P platforms only.

8xx series: avail in s940 format only. target: mid to enterprise serviers. 2P through n-way servers using glueless interconnect technology boards.

dave

Back