Difference between Old SB Live! cards and X-Fi cards

I was wondering what the quality of sound was when comparing an old ass SB Live! card with a new X-Fi card. I don't have any issues with the current sound quality, but if the X-Fi is much better I may consider picking one up. Is there really that much difference?

Given the specs, yes. Not only is the analog output stage better, but the X-Fi processor also has a couple other tricks up its sleeve that preserve audio quality throughout the pipeline. In addition, EAX 5.0 is more capable than the EAX 2.0 the Live! supports, so some games will end up sounding more realistic with the X-Fi than they would with the Live!, and the quality of the effects themselves will be higher.

What are you using for speakers or headphones? If it's just some $19.95 walmart special then you probably won't notice much difference, but if they are at least of reasonable quality, the difference should be apparent.

You will definatley notice a major improvemtn over the soundcard you have right now. There are alot of different flavors of X-fi. Avoid the Extreme Audio...It doesn't contain the X-fi processor.

Personally, I'm not that big a fan of artificial enhancements to sound. Then again, it's artificial to begin with, so... I guess I'm more referring to playback of mp3's and whatnot. But that said, I do like the crystallizer a decent amount. Makes headphones much more rich.

If you can get your hands on an Xtreme Music, grab that thing. I love mine.

Just don't go cheap on your headphones, or you're just doing yourself a disservice. I'd recommend a pair of Sennheiser HD485's. I use 'em and for music or games, everything's good. Unless Creative or another card maker really innovates on their next generation, I think this is going to be a soundcard I'll be holding onto for at least the next 3 PC builds. There might be better if you're doing this strictly for music, but, it satisfies me just fine.

I can't bring myself to replace the soundcard in my sig.....Keeps rockin.
I use the digital output so that takes care of the analogue SNR issue.
The only thing I have noticed is that FEAR multiplayer overwhelms this card with too many noices at once and it starts to get choppy.

Going from a Live 5.1 to my current Audigy 2 ZS, I noticed a massive increase in sound quality. Given what I've heard about the X-Fi, an upgrade would definitely be worth it.

Back