Difference between Japanese and U.S PSP?

skinlab

Gawd
Hiya,

was checking out the PSPs locally (in the UAE) and noticed that both versions were being sold, with the U.S version priced slightly higher (about $20 more), but that could be because it includes the demo dics

with regards to playing games, will i be able to play any region game with the Japanese PSP or vice versa with the U.S one?
i've also read alot about U.S PSPs having dead pixels and the such, feedback?

any recommendations and the such would be great.

thanks.

There are only a couple of differences, mostly minor.

1. The Japanese PSPs launched with firmware version 1.0. US PSPs launched with 1.50. (Japanese versions had 1.50 available as a download, and now 1.51 is available for both US and Japanese PSPs.)

2. The US PSP comes with a Spider-man 2 UMD. The Japanese PSP doesn't.

3. The US PSP is encoded Region 1, the Japanese PSP is encoded Region 2. However, this is for UMD movies: games are region free and playable on all PSPs.

The dead pixel reports are overblown: for all the complaints you've heard, there are dozens of people without a problem.

My suggestion is, if you're interested in running homebrew software and emulators on your PSP, get the Japanese version (assuming they still ship with the 1.0 firmware--1.50 and 1.51 have not been cracked yet.) If you don't care about Spider-man 2, get the Japanese version. Otherwise, get the US version.

Isn't there also a difference with one of the buttons, where the Japanese version had problems with the square button or something? That might have been redesigned for the Japanese version at the same time they brought out the US version though

Terpfen said:
The dead pixel reports are overblown: for all the complaints you've heard, there are dozens of people without a problem.
lol

those are some really intelligent responses from the last two posters. i hope they help you're purchasing decision.

in other news, I say go for it as well you'll be fine.

To offset the nay-sayers........no dead pixels on my PSP.

Firmware 1.0 (Japanese version) can run unsigned code, so if you want homebrew games and emulators right now, get the Japanese version and take your chances on the sticky square button. If you can afford to wait a bit for downloaded programs, get the US version. You're going to have to update the Japanese version eventually to play newer games anyway.

denaps said:
those are some really intelligent responses from the last two posters. i hope they help you're purchasing decision.

in other news, I say go for it as well you'll be fine.

Your post is ironic because you're reprimanding people for not being helpful.

His question was, "Japanese or US," and your response is, "yes." Think about it.

I don't care about watching movies on a PSP, but I also don't care about the homebrew scene. So I would go with the cheaper one.

dead pixel reports were brought up in the second post. i was addressing those issues. at least I was making a recommendation rather than "lol" or "pffft - lol" which don't mean anything at all. sorry, i won't be back.

well all i'm looking for is playing games really, i'm not going to be emulating any games or anything of that sort. prolly wont be watching too many movies on it either, but i might eventually.

i suppose the Japanese one is the wayto go, need the next paycheck and it's mine :)

Torgo said:
Not all US versions came with the Spiderman 2 UMD.

True, but the first million did, and most likely the store being discussed imported the version with the UMD.

ryanrule said:
read what you wrote very carefully.

Sorry, turning my words back against me would only work if you had a point by doing so.

Terpfen said:
Sorry, turning my words back against me would only work if you had a point by doing so.
im not turning them against you. read what you wrote. its funny.

Back