Difference Between Ethernet Switches

So I was debating on whether to get this: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF...id=1391669818&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+switch or TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 10/100 Mbps GREENnet Ethernet Desktop Plastic Housing Switch, TE100-S5
My question is what is the difference between the two? I have 20mb internet download. I will also have two computers occupying the two ports at a time. Does my speed get split or something? Which ethernet switch is better?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have time warner with the wireless thing and ethernet ports but because the router is so far I pulled a line to my room and I want to split it now using a ethernet switch.

No particular difference between the two.

20mb download means 20 megabits per second download. The two switches you are looking at have 100 megabit per second ports. Unmanaged switches such as the ones you are looking at will have no effect whatsoever on your internet speed because they are 5 times as fast as your internet speed.

If you get a Gigabit version of those switches, such as this Trendnet Gigabit switch, your internet will still be unaffected, but file transfers between your two computers could be significantly faster. But if you never transfer files between the two computers, then there would be little point in spending more.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

No particular difference between the two.

20mb download means 20 megabits per second download. The two switches you are looking at have 100 megabit per second ports. Unmanaged switches such as the ones you are looking at will have no effect whatsoever on your internet speed because they are 5 times as fast as your internet speed.

If you get a Gigabit version of those switches, such as this Trendnet Gigabit switch, your internet will still be unaffected, but file transfers between your two computers could be significantly faster. But if you never transfer files between the two computers, then there would be little point in spending more.

Back