Difference between a destkop lcd and a notebook lcd?

Drepd

n00b
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
61
What is the difference in lcd displays when comparing a desktop lcd and a notebook lcd?

Why is it that notebook widescreen lcd displays can display higher resolutions than a desktop lcd display? So for instance, the Dell 17 inch notebook widescreen display can go up to 1920x1200. But a normal widescreen lcd for the desktop can not go past its native rez.

So what makes this 17 inch notebook be able to display a resolution that requires a 24 inch in desktop standards?
 
tbh I've asked myself the same question ever since I saw an IBM Thinkpad A21p with 1600*1200* res on a 15" lcd...

So anyone know?
 
It's all to do with dot pitch. The laptop screen have smaller pixels packed close together. The reason most desktop monitors don't use those panels is that the dpi gets too small for average desktop use of 18-24+ inches, but it looks good from 12-18" when used in a laptop.
 
Cost is the biggest factor. High density panels cost a lot and can be justified in the normally higher price in higher-end notebook models. Personally I would pay for such displays even on a desktop, but the Sixpacks have spoken with the mighty dollar (or the lesser amount they have spent). :eek:
 
Well for one thing, its much easier to get the exact resolution you want with a laptop.

I really really wanted a 4:3 desktop LCD (@ about 1400x1050) - impossible to get. But if you want a laptop with that res its a dime a dozen :\
 
Sorry, but the cost argument doesn't wash. There are LCD monitors at just about every price point you can name. People can and do pay more to get more from desktop LCDs. The Dell 3007 wouldn't exist otherwise.

My view, having spoken to some monitor maunfacturers, is the issue is ergonomics. Manufacturers take the view that high DPIs create legibility issues on desktop monitors. I happen to think they are wrong about that. And it certainly doesn't explain why you can't get a 19-inch 4:3 panel with a 1400 x 1050 res, since that would have a very similar dot pitch to a 17-inch 1,280 x 1,024 panel. Generally, I think the industry has gotten stuck in a rut.

Things are getting better now, but I remember a year to eighteen months ago when you'd pay the same price for just a desktop monitor with a 1,920 x 1,200 res as you would for a whole notebook system with the same res.

I still love my Dell 8500 with its 15.4-inch 1,920 panel.

Sadly, I don't see the problem improving any time soon. M$ has bigged up Vista's capability for supporting high DPI displays, but all the evidence I've seen suggests that that's yet another promise that will fail to be delivered....
 
Back
Top