difference between 9800 pro ad 9700 pro?

Dome

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 16, 2002
Messages
2,096
i'm looking at the powercolor radeon 9700 pro and the ati radeon 9800 pro on newegg, there's a about 80 dollars difference.

i was wondering tho if clockspeed was the only difference or if there were hardware architure differences too

i'd do a search but its disabled, thanks
 
its a revised gpu core. clock speeds are higher due to a refined core.

runs a tad differently but its about 15% i think in increase. not that big a deal.
 
its lightly refined.. basically the same speed clock for clock, just 9800 is clocked faster.
 
in the long run, say 2-3 years, will one do better than the other?

i figure its going to be a while before either card gets old right? does the 9800 overclock better than the 9700? or will overclocking not prolong the life of a graphics card?

basically i'm trying to figure out if the 9800 is worth 75 dollars more
 
I would say no. However, the 9800 Pro is going to last a long time b/c of the DX9 optimizations, but I am not clear on whether or not the 9700 Pro is as future-proof.

I would recommend against Powercolor cards...I have heard bad things about them and people on this board don't seem to like them. I would go with ATI or Sapphire.
 
alright well sounds like 9800 to me then, i still have a while before i buy so please keep giving advice.

thanks guys
 
Back
Top