Difference between 3ware Escalade 7500-8 and 7506-8?

mpeg4v3

Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
644
So in my ever-on-going adventures to acquire an actual 7506-8, I bought another one off eBay after my other "supposed" 7506-8 turned out to be a 7810 and I had to return it. So This one arrives and it's a 7500-8. Don't I just have all the luck in receiving hardware that isn't what I actually bought? If I hadn't gotten a most excellent price on this ($240), I'd be tempted to return this one as well immediately... but instead I figured I'd find out the difference.

Well, anyway, in my previous searches to determine the difference between a 7810 and a 7506-8, I determined that the 7810 vs the 7850 (aka the 7500-8) had only one key difference- the latter had the R5 fusion technology, for greater RAID5 speeds, while the 7810 didn't.

However, now I'm trying to find the difference between the 7500-8 (aka 7850) and the 7506-8. And I can't find any sites that show the difference between these two. 3ware's web site was no help, as was Google and Google groups.

Does anyone know what the difference between these two is?
 
/methinks the 7500-8 is 64bit/33mhz
and the 7506-8 is 64bit/66mhz
 
damn! really? what performance aspect effects would that have? I've currently got sitting in front of me a tyan thunder 2500 with 4x 64bit/33mhz slots and 2x 64bit/66mhz slots... I plan to use this card with 8x Seagate 200gb drives, could the 33mhz less possibly dampen the capable throughput?
 
maximum bandwidth is the difference

32-bit/33mhz pci = 133MB/second max
64-bit/33mhz pci = 266MB/second max
64-bit/66mhz pci = 533MB/second max
64-bit/100mhz pci-x = 800MB/second max
64-bit/133mhz pci-x = 1066MB/second max

These are all MegaBYTES/second, not megabit (as commonly measured with networking connections/ethernet)
 
In effect, if this IS the only difference, then no. 266MB/s is enough for even a modest SCSI array. Especially if you go over a 1Gb (125MBYTES under perfect conditions with no overhead, etc) Ethernet connection.
 
ok, thanks for all the info guys! I highly doubt a RAID5 array based on 200gb PATA drives will go anywhere near 233MB/sec, even during reading, so I guess I'll keep this card.
 
Back
Top