Diff between athlon xp-m and athlon 64

hmm...

Weaksauce
factors
-battery life
-price/perform

My dad has instucted me to get a okay cheat laptop. The HP zv5000z is the best I've found since all the cheap dells and ibms have celeron-m and I don't know if those are good or not. Anyways, there is a $50 difference between the XP-M 3000+ and the 64 3000+. Could't find any benchies anywhere for those two.

Thx

You're gonna want the 64 over the XP-M. the a64 has coolnquiet which will help with battery life - also the 3000+ rating for the a64 is conservative and should not be used to compare it to a K7 core.. the a64 will mop the floor with the xp-m.

Eric1285 said:
The Celeron-M is a pretty good processor.

not really, any celeron cpu isn't even worth looking at, ive own celeron cpu's and they are ALL Garbage, you can't even surf the web properly, you will notice that little things keep lagging and eventually it will drive you crazy, i threw away the stuppid celeron desknote i had and got myself a Pentium M Dothan

klowngoblin said:
not really, any celeron cpu isn't even worth looking at, ive own celeron cpu's and they are ALL Garbage, you can't even surf the web properly, you will notice that little things keep lagging and eventually it will drive you crazy, i threw away the stuppid celeron desknote i had and got myself a Pentium M Dothan
wrong, you probably didn't have a celeron-M. celeron-M's don't go in those desknotes. the celeron-M is based on the pentium-M with slightly less cache and a slower fsb, but it's still an awesome proc.

nylint said:
wrong, you probably didn't have a celeron-M. celeron-M's don't go in those desknotes. the celeron-M is based on the pentium-M with slightly less cache and a slower fsb, but it's still an awesome proc.
whether its good or not, you know youre gonna get made fun of for just mentioning Celeron. :p

since its a notebook, id recommend the A64. the XP-M is only worth it if its in a desktop (crazy OCing). the A64 will give you much better performance. chances are itll get you better battery life too.

there are a few other threads in here about performance lappys. whats your budget?

the two laptops im currently recommending are the Uniwill 259IA3 barebones kit w/ Pentium M and 256mb 9700. or the Acer TravelMate 8100 series w/ Pentium M and 128mb X700.

http://www.rjtech.com/r259ia3.htm
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm8100.htm

i dunno man, the celeron is losing its stigma. the celeron-d is a crazy budget overclocker. i guess since i was poor, the cel300a/bh6 box i had still holds fond memories of killing my friend's p2-400 box.

Back