Did they lower the SMP unit point values?

Joe Fission

Limp Gawd
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but I used to see SMP WUs on the project list with point values of 1100+ or 1200+, now they are all 587 points per... is this right? Did Stanford lower the point values for SMP units?

The total WU overall value is lower, 587. The last core also slowed things down somethat.

Overall thou SMP = bonus and they are still pretty good PPD wise. On my home box I'm able to get ~ 900 PPD off VM SMP client and GPU. Only other time to get 900 PPD was off the freakish bonus 147x WU series. Low for that box is 200 off 2x CPU clients (600 GPU solo)

The C2D boxes should rip things up another notch.

marty9876 said:
The total WU overall value is lower, 587. The last core also slowed things down somethat.

Overall thou SMP = bonus and they are still pretty good PPD wise. On my home box I'm able to get ~ 900 PPD off VM SMP client and GPU. Only other time to get 900 PPD was off the freakish bonus 147x WU series. Low for that box is 200 off 2x CPU clients (600 GPU solo)

The C2D boxes should rip things up another notch.

How are you running the SMP client off windows? VMware or something?

chemist_slime said:
How are you running the SMP client off windows? VMware or something?

Thee is a SMP client for 64 bit linux as well as the OSX version. And you cab get Macs with C2Ds nw I am pretty sure

Tormond said:
Thee is a SMP client for 64 bit linux as well as the OSX version. And you cab get Macs with C2Ds nw I am pretty sure
Ya, but Marty mentioned he was using a "VM SMP client"... Like chemist_slime, I too am curious which virtualizer he's running it under and what guest OS he's using.

Numbers: P4 D 3.0 // ATI x1950 Pro

Note: VM machine using ~ 165 meg RAM total (config'd for 256 machine total VM)

Native x64 nix non VM: 11:10/frame (756 PPD)

2k3 x64-

SMP VM only: 15:26 (547 PPD)
SMP VM + GPU: SMP (17:30) [483 PPD] GPU (13:30) [352 PPD] -- 835 PPD total

XP:

Native GPU- 8:00 (594 PPD)
SMP VM: 15:36 (541 PPD)

SMP VM + GPU= SMP (16:03) [526 PPD] GPU (12:30) [380 PPD] -- 906 PPD

Of note: hit on VM clients, no hit on host OS being x32 thou. All on current 587 point SMP and 330 point GPU offerings.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is some strange points changes going on with the SMP cores, improved OSX SMP client on the way to soon I think.

Host OS no really matter.

So I assume you're running OSX in the VMs you're using perhaps? The only reason I ask is that of all the virtualization packages I've seen, most don't do more than 2 processor SMP and pretty much all only support 32-bit guest OSes. (Of course, that's just what I understand... I may be wrong.)

Joe Fission said:
So I assume you're running OSX in the VMs you're using perhaps? The only reason I ask is that of all the virtualization packages I've seen, most don't do more than 2 processor SMP and pretty much all only support 32-bit guest OSes. (Of course, that's just what I understand... I may be wrong.)

VMware server (free) will run 2x core SMP VM's. Mage did up a custom ubber light I alpha tested with him, waiting on VJ's input before release I think (?).

Also used live CD Papix booted in VM

Running 64x nix in VM land off both XP and 2k3 x64 host OS. Interesting host OS XP PPD boost. I was really suprised the host OS no matter (32 vs. 64). It's a huge hit (20-30%) using VM but in certian cases works out.

Back