Did Star Trek Influence the Design of the iPad?

Zarathustra[H];1036063290 said:
You really bring gadgets with you to interviews? Why?

I stick to the good old leather portfolio, a nice high end shiny pen, and several copies of my resume printed on quality paper. My laptop stays at home, and my iPhone remains turned off in my car or pocket.

When interviewing people should be looking at your experience and knowledge, not at wheter you carry a techy device.

If you're going to a job interview for a tech job where such gadgets can not only prove useful but show that you're on the "bleeding edge" by using such gadgets, I can't see any negatives here. It's not about "oh look what pretty shiny shit I own," it's more like "I know what I'm about to get myself into, no sense hiding my experience..."

Zarathustra[H];1036063290 said:
You really bring gadgets with you to interviews? Why?

I stick to the good old leather portfolio, a nice high end shiny pen, and several copies of my resume printed on quality paper. My laptop stays at home, and my iPhone remains turned off in my car or pocket.

When interviewing people should be looking at your experience and knowledge, not at wheter you carry a techy device.

Like I said it's superficial thing but if you don't think people look at superficial things you're being a little naive, I'm 42 and it's often the little things that make ALL of the difference. And if you think that Tablet PCs are just mere gadgets then you really don't understand. I have about 8 years of notes and information in my OneNote note books, all instantly searchable. It's becoming a living memory. If God sees fit for me to live a few more decades I will have accumulated a life experience in OneNote. Not that anyone is going to care when I'm dead but think of having the lifetime notes of musings of great people. We've not even begun to understand how to use this kind of stuff.

And paractially I can write on my Tablet PC just like a leather portfolio, at a distance a tm2 almost looks like one and not only that the information is now searchable and gets replicated so that it doesn't get lost. FAR superior to scraps of paper that get lost and are impossible to search easily.

Technology is in the business world is ALL about productivy and efficiency driving down cost and a tried and true way to do that is to make information more accesable. Tablet PCs do this task like nothing else I know of in a general sense.

And once again, assuming that you know any one with a Tablet PC, I have a feeling if they know how to use it they aren't stupid.

And BTW, I'm 4 for 5 getting jobs where I carried a Tablet PC to the interview and in ALL the interviews the subject came up BY the interviewer not me of course. Just a great ice breaker if nothng else. So maybe it doesn't matter, but with that type of track record hell I'll do it out of superstition!;)

Yep, and I think the first I heard of it was from a post of yours actually. This thing SCREEMS unique Windows geek!:D

People around here love to down the e-pen thing but you know what, being a business software developer e-pen gadgets can actually lend job candidates a little credibility. I started carrying my Tablet PCs with me to job interviews instead of a notepad some years ago. I can't tell you how much that little trick helped! It's not only an ice breaker but really, how many stupid, non-tech savy people own devices like convertiable Tablet PCs?

Yes, superficial but you'd be suprised how effective little tricks like this can be.

I guess I'm just jaded but if an applicant showed up with a tablet to the interview one of two things would go through my mind...maybe both.

1. This person is more interested in playing with their tablet than the job
2 This person is trying to probe my wireless network and they should be killed on the spot.

But then, I'm jaded, suspicious and mean...

:cool::D

Your wireless network can be probed with a phone. If they showed up with paper would you think that they are more intrested in playing with paper than their job?

The first job interview that I took it too BTW was a company that developed medical records systems, so guess WHY I took my tablet to that interview. At this point I just treat it as paper, it is in many ways superior.

Your wireless network can be probed with a phone. If they showed up with paper would you think that they are more intrested in playing with paper than their job?

The first job interview that I took it too BTW was a company that developed medical records systems, so guess WHY I took my tablet to that interview. At this point I just treat it as paper, it is in many ways superior.

To your first question, yes, yes I would. You're there for an interview not a lecture. Taking down shorthand like somebody's girl Friday doesn't foster a free flowing conversation.

The second part is nothing more than an exercise in vanity and I'm sure that at some point the interviewer probably felt that way about your tablet.

I truly hope that it worked out for you but know that for most employers it was the exception and not the rule no matter how progressive you believe it to be.

>PoP!<

:cool:

To your first question, yes, yes I would. You're there for an interview not a lecture. Taking down shorthand like somebody's girl Friday doesn't foster a free flowing conversation.

The second part is nothing more than an exercise in vanity and I'm sure that at some point the interviewer probably felt that way about your tablet.

I truly hope that it worked out for you but know that for most employers it was the exception and not the rule no matter how progressive you believe it to be.

>PoP!<

It got the job and that's all that matters.:)

>PoP!<

You must have some very cold interviews.

I myself have had interviews last over an hour just having a good conversation, it really helps get you noticed. If talking about the latest gadgets helps, then why not? I've started up conversations about my computer because alot of people find it interesting that I use watercooling. It's a good thing when you make the next appointment have to wait for you. ;)

Ah, such bliss...

You'll get jaded soon enough so I encourage you to enjoy it for as long as you can.

Back