Did my video card just die?

LateraLex

Limp Gawd
I was playing TF2, and the screen goes solid grey, and the PC is frozen. Everytime I reboot the PC powers up, then the video card fan starts spinning at 100%. Nothing comes up on screen, and it just stays like that ???

It seems to me like it died. I suppose you're talking about that HD 3870 X2 in your signature; maybe the good old thing's toast due to excessive heat. Anyway, you should put in a replacement video card to see whether the rest of the system's fine. If it is, the card must be dead...

Ok, I ate breakfast and it powered on. What tests should I run? Overheating? At Idle my temp is 55C.

Ok, I ate breakfast and it powered on. What tests should I run? Overheating? At Idle my temp is 55C.

What tests are you going to run if you don't have any video? Reseat the card and try again. If that doesn't work see if you can put a replacement card in. I have a PCI video card I use to diagnose video issues.

Do you even see a POST screen?

So it has been working but will randomly lock-up. :( I'm assuming I should RMA this thing, or are there tests I should do?

When was the last time you really cleaned out the heatsink? Those fins trap and hide alot of dust after a few months. That and reseat the card.

When was the last time you really cleaned out the heatsink? Those fins trap and hide alot of dust after a few months. That and reseat the card.

Never actually. How does one do it? I've blown compressed air up into the on-board fan a few times, but never took it apart or anything.

Back