Did my Ubiquiti Dream Machine / UDM start dying?

ZeqOBpf6

Gawd
All of the sudden I've noticed games are rubber banding all over the place, as of yesterday at noon. Call ISP they say all my channels look great, they restart my mode, (Surfboard S33) issue still persists. Ethernet or wifi, testing this with two different devices, still the same.

If I plug a PC directly in to the modem I have zero issues.
I've done a factory reset on my UDM twice today and still the same issue. I've tried saying my ISP has 300 down 20 up (actual) , 100 down 5 up, and 600 down, 50 up, all the same effect.

Running ping www.google.com -t I see pings jump from 18-21ms every 60-120 seconds or so, it usually happens in clusters, all fine and then 3 out of 5 slow pings, usually around 120ms.

Googling around people are saying tweak a few settings, most of which I can't even find, and again, factory reset, no weird QoS or anything like that. I've tried swapping the cable from the router to the modem for a different one too.

lol. I swapped the one from router to modem earlier and it didn't help. (I said this)
But, since you asked, I did it again, using a third cable. I decided whatever and took the other cable(the one I just had in) and attached it to my PC knowing I'd also be testing wifi from my laptop.

Ran ping -t for the last 55 minutes and I haven't had a single ping above 80ms <3

Odds of me restoring all original cabling and continuing to have no issues? I'd bet >95%

lol_computers

My bad! my brain totally missed the cable swapping note at the end!

Could also be contact end going maybe, although rare, in the corp ent. world when we re-cable anything, all the old cables get tossed, mainly due to when cables are stuck in a set bend or angle for a given amount of time, and then get moved, it can cause weird issues.
:D

Seems like you've solved the issue, and a good way to confirm is the 1080p test over at packetlosstest.com. You can also see any latency spikes that might help track down issues.

Check your firmware version too. Unifi is all over the place anymore. I've had UDM pros running stable for months act up bad. Sometimes a power cycle will do it, or updating to a newer "stable" firmware and unifi network version.

Some times there are issues at peering connection locations. Next time get the Game Server IP if possible and do a trace route. Normally you can see where the issue lies IE Your ISP or another peering location which is out of your control.

Back