LG Lightscribe DVD
EVGA 8800 GTS 320 mb
Floppy
Vista Ultimate 32bit

The chipset and driver disk would not load that came with the
Bad Axe 2, times out on me. So I downloaded the drivers from intel website
making sure there all Vista compatiable. After installing them
Vista says "they may not have installed properly" and gives a choice
to do a "recommended" install?? What is this??

OK, so when I check installed programs in control panel there not there
except for the audio driver.

So did my drivers get installed or not? Confusing...

Welcome to the "Confusion Club", you're not alone.

I would go into Device Manager, and view the driver details of the devices which should have been installed. Device Manager, expand category, right click device, peoperties, details tab, provider.

I've run into the same "Recommended Install" message as you, though I can't remember specifics as it was a couple of days ago.

The drivers should all be digitally signed, but the provider should be non-Microsoft if the new drivers installed correctly. You can reboot and try again.

Be aware, if you "Uninstall" a driver from the Device Manager, Windows Vista is *freaking fast* installing a replacement. It's scary. I don't know how to get around this.

Cheers!

Welcome to the "Confusion Club", you're not alone.

I would go into Device Manager, and view the driver details of the devices which should have been installed. Device Manager, expand category, right click device, peoperties, details tab, provider.

I've run into the same "Recommended Install" message as you, though I can't remember specifics as it was a couple of days ago.

The drivers should all be digitally signed, but the provider should be non-Microsoft if the new drivers installed correctly. You can reboot and try again.

Be aware, if you "Uninstall" a driver from the Device Manager, Windows Vista is *freaking fast* installing a replacement. It's scary. I don't know how to get around this.

Cheers!

Well in checking device manager there all digitally signed by MS not Intel.
Also, there is an entry under "other devices" flagged yellow that says
"Serial ATA Controller. (I can remove this I assume)

Would it make a difference if there MS or Intel for my motherboard?

UPDATE: Removing the "other devices" flagged yellow and rebooting Vista
then prompts me to install it again. It does not see the Intel driver and flags it yellow again.
There are MS drivers installed under IDE ATA controller only.

I'm sorry but as I have a completely different chipset and processor ... hopefully someone else can help you out. Looks like Vista prefers it's own drivers over the ones you're trying to install ...

Back