did Microsoft change my windows update policy?

Jim S.

n00b
Joined
Dec 23, 2005
Messages
59
I could've sworn that I had my Windows 7 system set to download updates automatically but ask whether to install them, the same as I always had my XP system. But last night it automatically installed the big IE security patch and rebooted. When I checked this morning, it was set to automatically install updates. Not only that, but when I set it to ask before installing, I get a constant message in the notification area nagging me to change it to automatic. So, did they force a change, or am I for some reason mis-remembering having it set the way I prefer?
 
Pretty sure they changed it after the previous security patch.

Save this as a .reg file then run to disable automatic restarts (should be off by default?):
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

And to remove the action center nagging about your update settings:
9t1rgl.jpg
 
Back
Top