• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I use too much TIM?

Reuas

n00b
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
33
Q6600 G0
Xigmatek 1283
G. Skill DDR2 1000
P5Q Pro
Seasonic 550w PSU

I put the TIM (AS5) on the heatsink, instead of the processor. I figured that it would help fill the gaps. But now i'm second guessing myself. It was more than I usually put on (when i'm putting it on the processor) but I by no means layered it on. I used a credit card to spread it evenly over the surface, and at the time I thought I had it pretty thin.

I'm currently at 3.0 ghz (333x9) it was stable at 1.38, and it's running Prime at 1.35 as we speak. The temperatures at 1.38 were about 35-40C idle, 55-60C fully loaded. Do those sound right? No overclock the temperatures were 30C or so, I remember seeing high 20s too.

All temperatures from core temp.

Thanks



Now I don't recall the exact amount, but I recall using more than I normally do.
 
Those voltages seem kind of high for 3.0Ghz. On all the G0's I've had I didn't even have to increase vCore at all to hit 3.0. One I actually undervolted and it was stable at 3.0. 55-60c at load for 3.0 is kind of high temps for 1283. I'd pull it off and reapply the TIM, this time using a small bead down the middle of the proc. Let the HSF spread it out, less chance of an air bubble in there.

You might be able to drop the vCore and bump up the FSB and MCH voltages by a notch to even things out. Also lock your PCIe freq at 100 or 101. You just have to play with it to determine in 100 or 101 is needed.
 
I thought the stock voltage was 1.325? If it isn't, what is it?

I have all other voltages set to default, and my PCI bus set to 100. My fan also shows up as only running at 800rpm in the bios, how do I get it to run faster? I changed the Q-Fan thing to turbo, which supposedly makes it run at it's max.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I have my Ram set to 2.0v. Specs say 2.0-2.1 for it. Other than that and the processor, nothing else has it's voltage changed.
 
Sounds like you TIM is fine, try just turning QFan OFF so nothing is controlling the fan speed and it just runs at 100%
 
Ok, mine is 1.325. I have it at 1.35 currently, 100% stable at 3.0ghz. I haven't dropped the voltage any lower than that to test so far. None of my games make the temps break 50C, so I think I still want to go farther.

I redid the TIM like in the above link, and got a couple degrees cooler. I think it's mostly my case (Coolermaster Cavalier). I put a 92mm fan in front (up from 80mm, and it's a better fan too). I have an 80mm intake on the side, and 120mm exhaust. The S1283's fan is pushing right towards the exhaust fan. The biggest problem, is that my video card (HD4870 with the slot exhaust) is above the 92mm intake fan, so not much of it ends up above the video card.

Is there such thing as a 5.25 drive bay fan system? I'm only using the top one, so 4 are free. I could probably make something, but i'd like to see if someone else has pulled it off and steal their ideas.

If I go to 366x9 instead of 333x9, I get a page file BSOD. If I try to disable all the asus overclocking crap, it won't post. Is there anywhere with a list of the P5Q Pro default settings (actual numbers, not "Auto", or "Stronger" or ambiguous bullshit like asus uses) so that I can figure out what I need to adjust to kick the asus settings and use numbers?
 
First off, I would revert every single change you made in the Asus OC software, so that you're back at 100% default settings. Then, uninstall the Asus OC software completely, and just OC from BIOS. You have more options and it's safer than using software.

If you want to try for 366x9, change your CPU voltage to 1.375v. Change your FSB Term voltage to 1.20v and your NB voltage to 1.26v. As far as I can remember, that should be all you need to change... but I could be wrong. Anyway, give it a try.
 
First off, I would revert every single change you made in the Asus OC software, so that you're back at 100% default settings. Then, uninstall the Asus OC software completely, and just OC from BIOS. You have more options and it's safer than using software.

If you want to try for 366x9, change your CPU voltage to 1.375v. Change your FSB Term voltage to 1.20v and your NB voltage to 1.26v. As far as I can remember, that should be all you need to change... but I could be wrong. Anyway, give it a try.

I didn't bother installing any of the asus software, I was referring to the stuff asus built in to the bios. Where the settings show non-quantitative values, and you are only given a brief description as to what the settings do. Like the "AI Clock Twister" or something like that. I didn't know what it does, so I disabled it (and two other things like it) and it wouldn't post.

If anyone knows of a website that goes through the P5Q Pro BIOS step by step, that would be a great help. If not, I can set up my laptop tomorrow and transcribe the BIOS items in question.

Thanks for the voltage settings, i'll try those out.

EDIT: These are the settings, I just found them online

MEM. OC Charger

AI Clock Twister

AI Transaction Booster

I don't know what they do, and what to set them at. While i'm on the subject, here are a couple other things I didn't know what to set at:

FSB Strap to NB

CPU GTL Reference

CPU PLL Voltage (This and the one above i've heard can be very bad if set wrong, so i'm just double checking to make sure I got them right)

CPU Clock Skew

NB Clock Skew

CPU Margin Enchancement

DRAM Static Read Control

DRAM Read Training

----------------

I'm not changing the RAM timings at all, i'm leaving them alone. If something doesn't need to be changed, I don't really need to know what it does. I just want to learn, and not do anything stupid that will fry my stuff. Overly cautious I guess.

Here is the page with the bios screen shots
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5q-pro_6.html
 
If you want to try for 366x9, change your CPU voltage to 1.375v. Change your FSB Term voltage to 1.20v and your NB voltage to 1.26v. As far as I can remember, that should be all you need to change... but I could be wrong. Anyway, give it a try.

I plugged those in, and they got me in the OS running prime95. Core 1 failed after 3 minutes. Does that mean more CPU Voltage?

Are 62C Temps normal full-load for 3.3ghz on a S1283?
 
I plugged those in, and they got me in the OS running prime95. Core 1 failed after 3 minutes. Does that mean more CPU Voltage?

Are 62C Temps normal full-load for 3.3ghz on a S1283?

Either more CPU voltage or more NB voltage. I'd start with CPU voltage.

62*C isn't bad. There are alot of factors involved with Air cooling, so 62 could be too high, or it might be just right... it really depends on your room temperature, along with how good the airflow is in the case.
 
Back
Top