Did I screw up?

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, guys, I think I goofed. For background information, you should probably read this thread. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Back with me? Alright then.

Basically, I think I've screwed the pooch. My problem is my processor: going forward, an old Pentium 4 is going to be a huge limitation with new games. (The DDR1 in my system isn't exactly setting the world on fire, too.) I'm starting to ponder the wisdom of returning my parts to Newegg and, if possible, having my money credited towards a new order: a total system upgrade. New power supply, new CPU, new sound card, video card, RAM. This is a nice opportunity to leap into the 64-bit world, since that'll future-proof the system quite a bit.

Am I wrong to have this sort of remorse? Can I even get Newegg to accept a return and transfer credit on the purchase?

Any advice on my situation is quite welcomed.

well you could have at least given us a snippet

terpfen said:
Bumping this thread with an experience update and a question.

I've been running my 2GB of RAM and 3850 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm pretty satisfied with its performance. It's a big upgrade from 1GB/9800, and Team Fortress 2 truly is a gorgeous game with settings turned up.

Maybe I'm getting the upgrade bug, though, but I'm starting to think I did the wrong thing. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just gone through with a full-on upgrade to a Vista 64-bit system. The upgrade I just spent $280 on is little more than a stopgap, and I suspect in a year my system will be seriously CPU-limited. (Plain old DDR isn't exactly friendly to modern games either.)

I wonder if Newegg will accept a return and forward the $280 as credit towards a new purchase.

the answer to your question is yes. for the money you spent you could be 75% of the way to a new barebones. You're not a hardcore gamer, so that means you can save even more money by going with last-gen hardware. they've got non-g92 8800s for pretty close to 100$ now.

edit: newegg tends to be pretty forgiving with returns, but I'm not certain if "I changed my mind" will cut it. have you opened it already?

Well, guys, I think I goofed. For background information, you should probably read this thread. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Back with me? Alright then.

Basically, I think I've screwed the pooch. My problem is my processor: going forward, an old Pentium 4 is going to be a huge limitation with new games. (The DDR1 in my system isn't exactly setting the world on fire, too.) I'm starting to ponder the wisdom of returning my parts to Newegg and, if possible, having my money credited towards a new order: a total system upgrade. New power supply, new CPU, new sound card, video card, RAM. This is a nice opportunity to leap into the 64-bit world, since that'll future-proof the system quite a bit.

Am I wrong to have this sort of remorse? Can I even get Newegg to accept a return and transfer credit on the purchase?

Any advice on my situation is quite welcomed.

The Pentium 4 is not the best CPU for gaming, it's architecture is more suitable for workstation job, DDR1 is not that bad, considering that with very low latencies can trade blows with faster DDR2 with higher latencies like DDR667. 64-Bit is the future, but not now yet, there's very little advantage yet to go through that route.

When it becomes a problem and you can no longer play the games you want, build a new system and sell your current parts to help offset the cost. The longer you wait, the less money you'll get for your old parts.

Newegg may accept the return of your items, but to get the re-stocking fee waived you have to buy the replacement parts from them.

Thanks guys. Some good advice here.

I've decided to just stick with the upgrades I've done. I figure I can get about 18 months of solid performance out of this rig. In 2010 I'll probably just build a brand-new system.

Back