• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I overclock correctly?

chineseman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 28, 2004
Messages
1,218
So I was bored yesterday night and decided to try and overclock for the first time using the stuff in my sig. I just went into bios and changed the settings to 400x9, left the ram timings at 5-5-5-15, upped the voltage to my cpu to 1.3v and my ram to 1.9v.

I installed cpu-z afterwards to check my specs but everything showed up fubar as it listed my cpu at 2400mhz and my ram timings at 5-5-7-18. So I went back into bios and it shows my e8400 @ 3.6ghz, ram at 5-5-5-15, voltages at 1.3v and 1.9v. Is CPU-Z borked on Vista or did I mess up? Also, is there any way to test if my overclock is stable besides just booting up a game and seeing if it crashes?
 
The 2400 is because of Speedstep - the processor drops to a 6x multiplier during idle and bumps back up to the full 9x under load. IF you run Prime or something you should see the full 3.6. You can also disable EIST and C1E in the bios to prevent it from lowering the multiplier, although for my money I prefer to let it lower it when it is idling - as long as the motherboard isn't playing with the Vcore at the same time it shouldn't make any difference to you (which it shouldn't if you set a manual Vcore)..
 
Back
Top