Did I order the right PSU?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566
computerpro3 said:
So without Further ado, I present to you the list of Un-reccomended and Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies

Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Aspire
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Devanni.
Dynapower
Eagle
E-power (except Tagan series)
InWin
JustPC
Kingwin
L&C
Linkworld
MGE,
PCMICS
Power-Man
Powmax
Power-Up
Raidmax
Thermaltakes (low end ones, butterflies are fine, and some enlight models, the TT category depends)
Turbo
Ultra-X (yes, the pretty looking ones, they are really rebranded powmax!!!)
X-superalien
X-treme

There's a reason why they call it POWmax. ;)

ON a tight budget, and everyone has their opinions. Was asking about the pins.

Focker said:

What was your PSU budget? You can get a Fortron brand PSU pretty cheap. The PSU is the last place you want to cut the budget unless your just working with a lower-end rig. That POWmax will never hold up to a SLI rig. You better just return the PSU while you can and get something better.

burningrave101 said:
What was your PSU budget? You can get a Fortron brand PSU pretty cheap. The PSU is the last place you want to cut the budget unless your just working with a lower-end rig. That POWmax will never hold up to a SLI rig. You better just return the PSU while you can and get something better.
Naaah, better that he learns the hard way. I don't think anybody who's ever "been on a tight budget" and posted in the PSU forum listened to anyone here `til they had at least one spate of major instability or a PSU that went bang on them or fried their equipment. :rolleyes:

Though I am curious: if the original poster was on a tight budget, why not just buy a non-SLI mainboard for $40-50 less and get a single video card, spending the additional money on a high-quality PSU?

Focker said:

Much less opinion and much more POWmax PSUs destroying people's computers. Another vote for returning the thing before you regret it.

-zac

Well what I'm trying to figure out is how to tell what kind of PSU is needed for the motherboard... there's nothing on the descriptions that I can see on newegg that tells me.

I got the SLI board 'cause I want the board to last a couple years and I got 2 6600gt's for only $260 total. Thanks for pointing that out Freidog, I cancelled the PSU.

You really don't want to be running something expensive like SLi graphics cards, eventually getting a dual core 939 and then having a Powmax POS PSU in there. Get something serious or don't bother buying all the other expensive stuff, because if you load one of those shitty PSU's up anywhere close to its rated wattage it will likely bust a cap and kill all of your gear. The whole computer runs off electricity after all. The better the quality, stability and uninterruptability of that power, the safer all of the delicate components will be.

Just the other day here in New Zealand, they had one of their freak accidents where some guy drove into a power poll. Since people are notoriously cheap when building computers here, they have mostly Powmax and other shitty PSU's with no surge protection or UPS's. About 40 or 50 PC's were brought into the local repair shop and were fried because the power went on and off a couple of times while it was being re-routed. Thanks to my SmartUPS and tough Enermax EPS PSU my computer survived. Just think, what if your SLi system and all of your data was destroyed when the lights flickered just like it happened to 50 people here in a small town?

Too true. I'm a cheap bastard and even I won't use a Powmax on even a Duron system that I just built for a even cheaper neighbor. I've got a Antec Tru330 that I've had for a good while and it's always done great on my old system (Mobile XP and GA-7NNXP MB) . The 12v rail is very low on the new system in my sig (just upgraded the motherboard and cpu and added a couple more case fans) so I just ordered an OCZ Modstream. If the original poster can't afford a good $100 power supply for an SLI system then he can't afford an SLI system in the first place IMHO.

Read the reviews for it. Newegg tends to gloss over reviews and there are still reports of unstable voltages and it killing the system rather quickly.

now you DID buy the right PSU :D welcome to the club of quality PSU owners who get scoffed at by the people's whos rigs explode into flames when the lights dim.;)

Good choice. I bought one of those for my son's computer and an Antec NeoPower for my computer. I really like both PSU's, but I think I like the Blue Storm a little better... ;)

im going to open mine up and play with the pots one day... turn them 50 times clockwise....

Back