Did I miss something? EA owns Valve?

zamardii

2[H]4U
I was reading about Valve's announcement that HL2: EP. 2 was delayed until "Fall 2007," and noticed this quote from EA.

Besides the Orange Box, PC gamers will also get the Black Box, which will include Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. It, too, will be available this fall. Neither boxed set has "Half-Life 2" in their official title, as they are "game collections," according to EA. "The Black Box and The Orange Box represent a new approach to publishing multiple products on multiple platforms," Newell said in a statement.

I've been a very long time fan of Valve... (who wouldn't be anyway), and I was just curious of EA owns Valve or if they're affiliated with each other some how. That would however explain the similarities with Valve's "Steam," and EA's "EA Link." But, if EA isn't affiliated with them, then why would they have a say in the matter.

Yeah Valve isn't owned by anyone... EA is their publisher. They had some trouble with their old publisher Vivendi (who also publishes Blizzard) so they switched.

considering that it was delayed and not just release to be consumer beta tested, i think we know valve has enough say in this relationship.

Yeah. EA distributes for Valve in the retail channel. Interestingly, the EA logo doesn't even appear on the Half-Life 2 retail products, even though they distribute it. At least, on my Episode 1 box, the EA logo is nowhere to be found.

Yeah. EA distributes for Valve in the retail channel. Interestingly, the EA logo doesn't even appear on the Half-Life 2 retail products, even though they distribute it. At least, on my Episode 1 box, the EA logo is nowhere to be found.

I don't think EA cares about that, as long as they get paid

I wouldn't be surprised if excluding the logo was part of the publishing agreement. :)

Yeah, no one wants to see a big fat ole EA on their box. It just spells trouble.

EA doesnt do anything but distribute the physical boxes and discs for valve.
I suppose they have some company contracted to copy the discs so as to package them.
But valve has been and will continue to be fully in charge, that why there arent any logos or inference to EA anywhere.
EA doesnt provide any support either.( thank goodness):D

EA doesnt do anything but distribute the physical boxes and discs for valve.
I suppose they have some company contracted to copy the discs so as to package them.
But valve has been and will continue to be fully in charge, that why there arent any logos or inference to EA anywhere.
EA doesnt provide any support either.( thank goodness):D

QFT thank god valve isn't letting EA own their souls and ruin games.

Episode 1 box? Box? Why is this news to me?
Hooray! Not a fan of the old downloaded media business.

Vivendi got pissed at Valve because they were not the sole distributors for Valve with Steam on the scene. This leverage allowed Valve them to ditch their publisher and operate on their own terms. Since Valve still wants to give customers the option of a physical purchase, they have EA distributing for them.

The major difference here is that since Valve has an established alternative venue for getting their games out to the public, they have less pressure than other game developers who have to keep the publisher happy or else they may be dropped for another hopeful development. Maybe they have no pressure at all? Does Valve still need publisher capital to fund their projects?

Vivendi got pissed at Valve because they were not the sole distributors for Valve with Steam on the scene. This leverage allowed Valve them to ditch their publisher and operate on their own terms. Since Valve still wants to give customers the option of a physical purchase, they have EA distributing for them.

The major difference here is that since Valve has an established alternative venue for getting their games out to the public, they have less pressure than other game developers who have to keep the publisher happy or else they may be dropped for another hopeful development. Maybe they have no pressure at all? Does Valve still need publisher capital to fund their projects?

The only pressure they get are from the screaming kids on the steam forums complaining about cs.

if you check the archives over at HalfLife2.net forms, the EA logo not appearing was part of Valve's agreement with EA after Valve and Vivendi had their falling out.

it's good to know valve's soul is safe from ea.

by the way, did you realize that electronic arts spelled backwards is Satan? the fact that one letter gets capitalized is really frightening.

by the way, did you realize that electronic arts spelled backwards is Satan? the fact that one letter gets capitalized is really frightening.

no its not, unless i have suddenly become dyslexic

your right :eek: i never noticed that before.... please hold me i'm scared now.

EA and Valve are releasing The Black Box and The Orange Box for people who are craving the entire Valve gaming experience, including all of the Half-Life 2 content you can handle. The Black Box will be for the PC, and will include Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box, which will be released for the PlayStation 3, XBox 360, and the PC, will include those games plus the original Half-Life 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode One.

lol sooner or later EA is going to buy them ;). The rich only get richer :)

lol sooner or later EA is going to buy them ;). The rich only get richer :)

I seriously doubt it. Valve, thanks to Steam, has enough leverage that they can dodge virtually any buy-out attempt because they don't _need_ a publisher or venture (from the publisher) capital.

1 of 2 things..

Valve has enough money where they can sit back and have another company deal with the publishing while they cash in and development.

or

They are working with a working model for box publishing which EA does well. Steam already provides a great online distribution for Valve, while EA will focus on the box releases.

It's strA cinortcelE backwards. I must have some of what you're smoking.

Wow, that got me worried. I was imagining that EA had secretly bought Valve!

As long as they're just publishing Valve games there's no problem. I would just be worried if Valve had been bought by EA, because EA would probably market future Valve games much more towards the console market.

Back