Did I mess up my CPU?

user001

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
125
I have an AMD Athlon 3800 X2 processor and it runs at 2.0 GHz normally.


I OCed it to 3.0 GHz and my computer would not seem to recognize the speed (when I right clicked my computer 2.0 GHz showed up). It did boot up at a pretty great speed however. So I felt concerned and lowered it to 2.4 GHz and my comp won't even begin to boot up windows! All I see is a black screen with a typing cursor at the upper left. And when I try to access the settings I get the same screen.

Did I mess up my CPU? Or did it just get too hot that it can't even run (til I let it cool)?

It's temp was 50 Celcius.
 
I have an AMD Athlon 3800 X2 processor and it runs at 2.0 GHz normally.


I OCed it to 3.0 GHz and my computer would not seem to recognize the speed (when I right clicked my computer 2.0 GHz showed up). It did boot up at a pretty great speed however. So I felt concerned and lowered it to 2.4 GHz and my comp won't even begin to boot up windows! All I see is a black screen with a typing cursor at the upper left. And when I try to access the settings I get the same screen.

Did I mess up my CPU? Or did it just get too hot that it can't even run (til I let it cool)?

It's temp was 50 Celcius.

Go into BIOS and set everything back to defaults. Should fix it...
 
It should say how when you start up your system, Read the screen quickly. Usually, you enter the BIOS by pressing the Delete key (occasionally the F2 key, sometimes insert, sometimes something else) when the computer starts up.
 
Yeah my motherboard actually stops at a screen where you either hit F1 to continue or DEL (delete) to go into BIOS.

I hit DEL and I get that screen...



EDIT: Just got off the phone with EVGA and it turns out that I've lost my BIOS. Have to reset this thing or something or if I cannot get this thing to work, I'll get another board sent out or something.
 
How do I go into BIOS?

i dont even know where to begin.... how were you overclocking in the first place? some windows program? when you rebooted it probably set everything back again, this is why you still see 2ghz. you obviously didnt change any voltages in bios, hence you not being able to boot at 2.4ghz. 50c is a little hot but not enough to instantly burn anything. before you do anymore overclocking READ.
 
Back
Top