Did I make a stupid purchase?

What to do?

  • Sell them on eBay and snag two GTX 460s?

    Votes: 23 60.5%
  • They aren't that bad. Stop whining and just use them.

    Votes: 15 39.5%

  • Total voters
    38
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
631
I just bought two GTX 465s from Newegg.

Now I'm wondering if the deal I got offsets the fact these cards are the face palm of the GTX 400 series.

First Card:

EVGA 01G-P3-1465-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Lifetime Warrenty)

Base price of $229.99 brought down to $136.99 with a 10% off code and $70 off Newegg giftcards. There is also a $25 mail in rebate card and three free games (Just Cause II and Mafia II as free Nvidia download coupons and Metro 2033 when the card is registered with EVGA)

Second Card:

Palit NE5TX465F1002 GeForce GTX 465

Base price of $224.99 with a 10% off code brought this one to $202.49 There is a $20 mail in rebate and another Nvidia download coupon for Mafia II.

Both cards cost me $339.48 out of pocket.

Minus rebates I'm looking at $294.48 and if I sell both Mafia II codes and Just Cause II on eBay for $20 each the total comes down to $234.48

So should I live with these two cards in SLI or are they so terrible compared to the GTX 460 that I should try to make a slight profit by selling them on eBay?
 
If you can unlock those to 470s then you just got a sweet deal. If not, it's probably better to sell em off on ebay. You'll still make money off them with the huge discounts that you got.
 
eh, IMO SLI is generally a bad idea. keep one of the cards and buy another card that is 2x as strong next year or so. you are always better off doing that instead of sli. but to your point, is your need to upgrade a "theory" thing (ie, run crysis @ xxxx) or are you finding games you can't play?
 
What does your PSU situation look like ? Normally I would never suggest the 465 aka the green tured but if it was a good enough deal and you have a PSU to drive them then as you already have them it changes things. And if these can be unlocked that is even better . Just so you know that you have to cool those things.
 
If you can unlock those to 470s then you just got a sweet deal. If not, it's probably better to sell em off on ebay. You'll still make money off them with the huge discounts that you got.


pretty much agree with vjsmoke.. if they can be unlocked then they are an awesome buy.. if not sell them as quick as possible and snag 2 460's.. the 465's not unlocked are horribly power hungry for what little performance gain you get over the 460's..
 
kinda stupid but not terrible.

The $70 gift card, to me, is the same as cash. You could have used it for anything else or sold it even if you didn't want to use it at newegg. You could have gotten $63~65 for it
 
yes, you made a bad purchase. 90s load temp vs 60s load temp, plus 460 has just as good or better performance.
 
Sell them on eBay and snag two GTX 460s!! After you redeem all the game codes, of course :)
 
that will work but I would actually like bigger for that. the 465 draws about the same as a 470 so go look at the H suggestions for sli 470

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/27/gtx_480_470_power_supply_unit_buying_guide/3

note: for the OCing part they suggest a quality 850 watt psu

gah... I'm very bullish about loading your PSU to spec (I've never run into a problem running PSUs in situations most on this forum would deem not a good idea [still have my 8800GT on AX2 running on a 300W just fine thanks], so I cannot say from personal experience that its a bad Idea and I've yet to see anyone who can), but you're talking about one of the original 12V monsters here... A single 60A 12V rail which it will deliver on. And here we are today "jeez I donno you're cutting it close"... I'd go for it.

Also, keep in mind the GTX 465 is better than the GTX 460, stock anyways (the GTX 460 contains a weaker core on a smaller process, so it clocks higher and more efficiently) and it was only facepalm because its pricing was absurd, now that its come down its actually a good buy.
 
Your PSU should be able to handle it but I think it is going to get pretty load in the process. If your power supply is a few years old it might not be capable of handling a overclock on the 465s.
 
Back
Top