Did I luck out?

deff

2[H]4U
A couple of weeks ago, on a whim, I upgraded to a Z87 MPOWER and a 4770K (from a Z77 MPOWER and 3570K). After the initial setup and testing I broke out my multi-meter and started to overclock. I've managed 4.3GHz at 1.16-1.17 with everything stable after a 24 hour burn-in test.

After reading around I've come to the conclusion that my vcore is pretty low compared to what others have had to set their systems to (it seems the average is around 1.2+). Did I just get lucky? I'm not super concerned, just a little miffed.

excellent voltages, amazing chip, but you also need to test with more than just IBT.. specially if aren't using the latest linpack with AVX2.. i would try Aida64 and a lot of gaming sessions with heavy CPU games like crysis 3 and far cry 3.. if the system its still stable with no crash or BSOD then you are green light..

also what about your temps?.. generally that chip require 1.24v for more than 4.2ghz so at 4.3 with 1.17 you are still winning, now the concern should be the Temps..

excellent voltages, amazing chip, but you also need to test with more than just IBT.. specially if aren't using the latest linpack with AVX2.. i would try Aida64 and a lot of gaming sessions with heavy CPU games like crysis 3 and far cry 3.. if the system its still stable with no crash or BSOD then you are green light..

also what about your temps?.. generally that chip require 1.24v for more than 4.2ghz so at 4.3 with 1.17 you are still winning, now the concern should be the Temps..

Temps are good... great, actually. I had my 3570k at 4.5GHz/1.29v and it would idle around 38-40C; the 4770K idles around 28-32C (but this varies depending on what source you're consolting. I don't have an IR thermo so I'm using the highest value being reported). Same cooler (Prolimatech Megahalems 1x120 Corsair PWM performance fan).

I'll download the latest IBT and give that a go and do another round with prime while doing some random tasks. I seriously hope the results I'm getting are really this good.

EDIT: Forgot the load temps... my bad. Under load, temps will hover around ~62C.

Last edited:
nice chip, i have one at 4.2 with 1.15v but anything over 4.2 at 1.15 is unstable. need about 1.25 for 4.3

Confused...What are you miffed about exactly?:confused:

Low vcore, decent temps, decent overclock for that voltage.

There are few things about Haswell that I don't fully understand. Getting 4.3GHz stable at 1.17 volts when others were in the 1.20+ at similar clocks kind of threw me off. So I'm just looking for any tips, or validation, to make sure what I'm seeing is correct.

Somehow I don't think that word means what he thinks it means :p

I do apologize, I wrote the OP towards the end of a 16-hour shift. I'm surprised it even made sense, to be honest.

More and more I read of people having issues with 4770K's. Unless you need HT why not stick with a 4670K? Most people are hitting 4.4 to 4.6 with 1.3v no problem.

More and more I read of people having issues with 4770K's. Unless you need HT why not stick with a 4670K? Most people are hitting 4.4 to 4.6 with 1.3v no problem.

Really? I read about people not getting the overclock they want. That's about it.

The only other problem I see with Haswell is the FIVR asking for more current than it should. On anything other than manual core voltage settings, my 4.6GHz chip will call for 1.36v during Valley Benchmark by itself, as an example. What's the point of having anything other than Manual set core/cache voltage if the IVR will push itself right out of spec during a regular DX11 benchmark/game? But no one ever wants to talk about that. Anyway, hyperthreading is defeatable and the 4770k has faster clocks and more cache than an i5 either way.

On another note I saw someone's signature with a 4770k @ 4.9GHz a minute ago... :rolleyes: Then again maybe they are just trollin'.

I was referring to the overclocking. Generally, the 4670's are hitting higher clocks at much lower voltage. We're also not having to use manual set voltage, adaptive works just fine. Unless you're using the hyperthreading and cache for video editing and conversion there really isn't much difference in gaming between the two. Most people are hitting brick walls at 4.2 with the 4770 unless they want to pump some serious voltage in to it. Personally, I'm not comfortable throwing more than 1.3v.

At least, that's what I've seen trending here and elsewhere.

We're also not having to use manual set voltage, adaptive works just fine.

Oh? I'm not so sure about that.

Generally, the 4670's are hitting higher clocks at much lower voltage.

Where does this data come from? Can't say I have any experience with i5s but if this is true maybe they just piled too much crap into the i7

Personally, I'm not comfortable throwing more than 1.3v.

Me either. Mines at 1.27v

Most people are hitting brick walls at 4.2 with the 4770 unless they want to pump some serious voltage in to it.

4.2GHz is this absolute worst/minimum stable OC I've seen or heard of on a 4770k. Most people get better chips than that. I've tested 8. 1 was that bad. The avg was around 4.4

Last edited:
I'm not going to google for you, but there have been plenty of threads on here alone with people having issues getting past 4.2 to 4.3 with a 4770k. Xtremesystems, overclockers.com, ocaholic.com, tom's. Here's a nice little article showing the difference in gaming. Most of us here game. Every review essentially revolves around gaming performance. So why not focus on that.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1061

I don't need you to google for me, man. I tested 8 of them. How many 4770k's have you handled personally?

I can't disagree that a 4670k would be a better value for a gaming system, but as far as performance is concerned, there's more reasons than just HT why the i7 gets the nod, even if the gains are slight. The issue is, Haswell doesn't OC as well as Sandy Bridge, and this goes for the i5's as well. The point Intel was trying to hit upon with this tick or tock w/e was efficiency, so lower clocks, better performance, lower power consumption. But like my hybrid vehicle, if I drive like an asshole I use more gas--Haswell can use a ton of power... or not.

Personally, several dozen, company wide, over 100. We build custom DICOM and physicist machines for radiology clinics. We also get trays of 4670's. We don't overclock for our clients, but that doesn't stop us from playing around with the chips before their put in to a clients PC. Now, we don't overclock them all to play with, but several dozen of them, yes. Since, at the time, there were some of us building systems for ourselves personally and for our in-office PC. Most of the 4670's were clocking higher at lower voltage. Some of the 4770's were fantastic, but the majority sucked. Requiring 1.3v or more to break 4.4. The silicon lottery for these Haswell's really sucks.

So, yes, the 4770 has it's place when the cache and hyperthreading is useful. Working with large raw images, absolutely. Gaming, around here, the two chips trade blows.

Personally, several dozen, company wide, over 100. We build custom DICOM and physicist machines for radiology clinics. We also get trays of 4670's. We don't overclock for our clients, but that doesn't stop us from playing around with the chips before their put in to a clients PC. Now, we don't overclock them all to play with, but several dozen of them, yes. Since, at the time, there were some of us building systems for ourselves personally and for our in-office PC. Most of the 4670's were clocking higher at lower voltage. Some of the 4770's were fantastic, but the majority sucked. Requiring 1.3v or more to break 4.4. The silicon lottery for these Haswell's really sucks.

So, yes, the 4770 has it's place when the cache and hyperthreading is useful. Working with large raw images, absolutely. Gaming, around here, the two chips trade blows.

Cool story bro, but thats been common knowledge since the chips dropped.

For those of us who had a Microcenter near and got the 4770k for 199, it was a no brainer.

And the truth is, with a top of the line video card or two, overclocking really isnt needed. And thats been proven through benchmarks more than a few times.

Didn't mean for this to turn into an argument, honestly.

Did I need a i7? No, not really... but I had some money left over from the budget and decided to splurge (I've never used an i7 before, only i5s) and figured a HT part would be beneficial when I'm using OBS to stream BF4 to Twitch.

With that said, I'm not overly concerned about overclocking the shit out of this chip. I know results with benchmarks will be marginal at best. But I'm of the mindset that if I can I probably should and I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and am getting valid results.

Soooooo......back on topic. OP was exhausted after working 16 hours and wrote a somewhat random post that didn't make sense. A couple of us laughed, a couple of us raged. Sounds like he has a good chip that may or may not have some significant headroom. Are you looking for help overclocking further?

Since, at the time, there were some of us building systems for ourselves personally and for our in-office PC. Most of the 4670's were clocking higher at lower voltage. Some of the 4770's were fantastic, but the majority sucked. Requiring 1.3v or more to break 4.4. The silicon lottery for these Haswell's really sucks.

I'm with you on this Hydro, I think. It seems to me the 4770k's got better over the time it took me to get my hands on 8 of them. I was buying most of them retail and even a couple straight from intel and the stinker was the very first one I had, when they first came out. I'm not the only one that has suggested OC headroom improved as more Haswells got produced. Like at first, they were only coming from Malaysia, then the Costa Rica chips started showing up, but there are golden chips from both plants.

Is it possible that their production process improved? Maybe they were getting a lot of them sent back so they did some retooling. You can send a chip back once to Intel saying it does not meet satisfaction and they will swap it for another of the same model. I did it with a 4770s when I first switched to z87 because I thought it would run cool. They sent me back a retail package I dumped on eBay, since I couldn't sell on H yet at the time.

Back