Did I just get a eVGA GTX 480 OC for the price of regular one?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hi!
I just got my card and noticed that it shows 726Mhz stock speed in all apps I have tried. The part number is for the regular version which is what I paid for though.
Interesting.

BTW, any Precision users can tell me why it says Core but the speed showing is for the shader?

Intresting, I have no idea, the Superclocked isn't really any different than the standard version, maybe someone just put it in the wrong box and you got a little free performance, it's such a minor tick up, can be noticble but more often it wouldn't affect real world settings.

This is a great read on Precision for the 400 and should answer all your questions: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1836

The Core is the shader clock.

oh yeah I mean 26mhz can be done by any card out there for sure but kinda cool to get a special edition OC lol

Cool so I got a SC on a Normal box and with normal Labels...even the serial number shows the normal part number when I registered it. About time something kinda cool happened to me lol

same thing happened to my friend when the 260's came out got the OC version for the price of regular.

EVGA does this all the time. When I bought the normal EVGA GTX 275, I got the SC version in a normal box, and so did a lot of other people.

My presumption is that EVGA tests each card they get in, flash their BIOS accordingly and bin them; if they get good runs from the manufacturer, they may have binned a lot of SC versions and have fewer normal versions binned than there is demand for them. So they start pulling from the SC bin and don't bother to reflash the BIOS back to normal.

Sounds right.
Last time this happened to me was when I bought a Radeon 64 and got the SE version lol

When you are talking about a 26mhz increase in speeds, well EVGA could simply label every single GTX 480 as an SC. That is in fact why the SC is in stock far more than the vanilla, they need to make some more money while they can.

I have 3 480's in SLI, the two PNY are great chips, low temps relatively and high OC, the 480 MSI got in their lot and passed on to me runs 10+ degrees hotter, at a higher fan speed.

The MSI card is holding my OC back a tad from 835/2100 to 820/2100.

Thats right, my bad card OC's 120mhz on air.

When you are talking about a 26mhz increase in speeds, well EVGA could simply label every single GTX 480 as an SC. That is in fact why the SC is in stock far more than the vanilla, they need to make some more money while they can.

I have 3 480's in SLI, the two PNY are great chips, low temps relatively and high OC, the 480 MSI got in their lot and passed on to me runs 10+ degrees hotter, at a higher fan speed.

What does the top card idle at? In my 2x way setup for now, the top card, both eVGAs idle's at 75C with two monitors, side by side. Have a third eVGA on the way and will be going to three on a new build. Got any pics of the rig?

Thanks!

Sweet deal! Saves you the work of flashing it yourself. That has to be worth at least $10.

What does the top card idle at? In my 2x way setup for now, the top card, both eVGAs idle's at 75C with two monitors, side by side. Have a third eVGA on the way and will be going to three on a new build. Got any pics of the rig?

Thanks!

I'm using a custom automatic fan setting using MSI Afterburner. My two PNY idle at 62ish, and the MSI in the low 70's.

Perhaps you should consider changing the thermal paste on the MSI card? :)

Someone wrote a tutorial for this on the GTX480 here:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=310095

EVGA does that. I've gotten two stock cards from them clocked-up to superclocked. It's not like it's a big deal. Only a few mhz with your favorite overclocking tool. ;):D

EVGA does this all the time.

this is truth.

it's under the table advertising :) , they lost a bit of money, but it is supposed to make everyone that hears of your incident, have a little bit more sway toward the next graphics card they buy. ;)

or maybe this is truly a mistake... and i'm just crazy

Experienced the same thing with EVGA GTX285s. I got a superclocked EVGA GTX285 in a non SC box. Went back to same store to buy my second card the following week and just got a vanilla GTX285 that time. No worries. Got that one to superclocked speed for SLI.

this is truth.

it's under the table advertising :) , they lost a bit of money, but it is supposed to make everyone that hears of your incident, have a little bit more sway toward the next graphics card they buy. ;)

or maybe this is truly a mistake... and i'm just crazy

It would cost them money to reflash an SC back to normal, and if they have a good run of cards, they could have many more SCs than they would ever sell. The good customer relations is just a nice side effect.

The OC is so small that I can hardly imagine ANY card not being able to be a SC honestly. If it was 75Mhz then maybe but 26 is so little. In fact this card does 150Mhz right now.

Congratulations - over-clocked or not, like some other guy at this forum said, this card is the real deal. I've been playing Just Cause 2 most of this weekend... mind blowing... just mind blowing.

Thanks!
I have been playing it to...if you haven't seen it with 3d vision, try it....it is jaw dropping in my DLP tv and 3d vision....loving it!
I love how smooth the 480 is even when it hits lower fps...hard to explain.

Thanks!
I have been playing it to...if you haven't seen it with 3d vision, try it....it is jaw dropping in my DLP tv and 3d vision....loving it!
I love how smooth the 480 is even when it hits lower fps...hard to explain.

This 3D vision - do you have to have two eyes in order to see it functioning?

That's too bad. I only have one eye. Don't feel bad for me though, because nobody knows but me. I was born with blindness in my right eye, and when I tell people that I can only see out of one eye they're always surprised.

That's too bad. I only have one eye. Don't feel bad for me though, because nobody knows but me. I was born with blindness in my right eye, and when I tell people that I can only see out of one eye they're always surprised.

I guess it just seems natural to you since it was from birth? If I'm getting personal I apologize.

I guess it just seems natural to you since it was from birth? If I'm getting personal I apologize.

You're exactly right - I never even think about it. The 3D effect won't work for me if you need to use both left and right eyes though. This is probably a good thing, or else I'd probably go for it. LOL!

Cool so I got a SC on a Normal box and with normal Labels...even the serial number shows the normal part number when I registered it. About time something kinda cool happened to me lol

Only thing you should be concerned about is if you ever have to RMA that card, and EVGA see's the bios for a 480 SC, they might void your warranty thinking you flashed your bios to a card other than your product # cards bios.

Funny story, I actually got an super-clocked EVGA 260 instead of the regular one. I was super happy about it, until I went to fill out the rebate. Even though I got the slightly better card, I think I lost more money by not getting the rebate, the rebate was only for the regular model.

Unlike you, mine actually said superclocked right on the box and everything. But the deal was super, it was for like $150 or something, and I see these GTX 260's selling for 175 on ebay right now, and that is over a year later.

I think the stores always have excess of the superclocked, so when they run out of the regular they give you a superclocked instead.

The same thing has happened to me, when I RMA'd a 9800GX2, they sent me one flashed with an SSC BIOS. Normal box and everything.

Back