• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I install the SATA driver?

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
6,578
I was trying to install windows on my new hard drive, and it wouldn't recognize my drive at first. I installed the files and the motherboard's SATA drivers (using F6) about 5 times. The last time, I changed a few things with the BIOS and I finally got it to work. But this time I didn't press F6 in time. So, I'm not sure if I have the motherboard's SATA drivers. I installed both AHCI and RAID drivers on the previous tries. (have only 1 drive, but plant to RAID later)

My question, will those SATA drivers made from previous tries stay on as I install windows? Or am I stuck with some generic crappy XP home sp2 drivers?
 
You don't need SATA drivers for Windows. You would need RAID drivers though. If you have the drive setup as JBOD on a RAID controller, it's possible you'll need a drivet disk. However if the SATA ports are setup as non-RAID then they should just POST like any IDE drive (that's how the nvidia SATA ports are).

What board do you have?
 
Thanks, I have a Abit AW8 -Max. What's that AHCI stuff then? WIll that help me?

Never saw anything about JOBD
 
Parmenides said:
Thanks, I have a Abit AW8 -Max. What's that AHCI stuff then? WIll that help me?

Never saw anything about JOBD

Yeah, that's an intel chipset board. I really don't know much about those (I've used nvidia NForce chipsets for the past like 5 years).

When your system POSTs, do the SATA drives show up like normal IDE drives or do you have a RAID BIOS show up after the normal POST screen?
 
Ack, the post was too quick, Anyway of slowing things down?

In the meanwhile, Can I have RAID controllers while not actually using RAID? And if I don't have them on, then I'll probably have to reinstall windows?
 
Ok, nevermind this.... I reinstalled windows just to make sure. You can delete this thread.
 
Back
Top