Did I get the worst 6700k on the planet? (Won't do over 4.3GHz stable under 1.4volt)

Emig5m

Weaksauce
Worst overclocking chip I ever had. Of course the 2500k is the best but even going way back to the first chip I overclocked full time, a Coppermine 600e @ 933Mhz felt tons better (for its time) than this 6700k. I have to ramp the voltage up so much just for a small overclock I don't even bother to OC it. I hope I didn't waste my money and this stock 6700k just equals say, my old 2500k @ 4.3Ghz (that's what mine got to on stock volts). Grrr. Someone please tell me the new chip is faster even at a slower clockspeed, lol.

What are the rest of your system specs? PSU, motherboard, memory, CPU cooler, etc.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master's Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Enermax Infiniti 650w watt
Motherboard: Gigabyte z170xp-sli
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000

On the one side of the CPU the cooler almost looks like it's touching the bracket that holds the CPU in: Defective CPU bracket on the Mobo?

20160817_210241-web.jpg

CPU hits 82C @ 4.4Ghz. Core temp reports 1.4+ volts and this is using the auto overclock feature of the mobo. But manually overclocking I have to use tons of volts to remain stable.
Stock speeds/volts I think I hit around 72C peak in Coretemp running Intel burn test or Prime95.

I also think the CPU speed isn't very important anymore because playing MXGP2 at 4k my CPU usage only peaks at 43%. I feel like I should of stuck with my 2500k and bought prostitutes with the money saved, lol. Normally I see and feel a good boost with a CPU upgrade but if I didn't install this mobo processor and ram myself, I could swear it's my same old overclocked 2500k. I was excited to maybe even zip through video editing much faster in Vegas movie studio, but again, seems to render a video about as fast as my 2500k did. 10 minutes or 9 1/2.... big deal. Not worth the price. Not even worth the hassle of tearing the system apart even if I got the hardware for free. Oh well, at least my 1080GTX was a pretty good upgrade to my 970 GTX. I just thought with such a great video card that I didn't want to limit it with an old CPU but CPU's really aren't getting much better these days. I remember how good the Core2 was... Even the Athlon64.... and then of course the 2500k.... I feel raped for the price/gains with the 6700k. I paid $770 OTD for a Asus A8G 1080 GTX shipped and feel like I got my monies worth because it is so much more powerful than my 970 GTX. But the 6700k is meh... especially considering new DDR4 and everything. Is this one of those lackluster time periods for Intel like the PIV was?

Has be a defective processor bracket on the mobo then. It's not even perfectly centered with the cpu. The cooler is fine, ran it for the last five years in my old system. When I took that pic I did try to shine a flashlight through the back to see if light was coming through and it was but just barely so there's like a human hair of clearance on that side. The other side has plenty of gap. I guess if it's running at normal temps under load then I'll just leave it alone if it's functioning correctly.

I also think the CPU speed isn't very important anymore because playing MXGP2 at 4k my CPU usage only peaks at 43%.

This does not mean you are not CPU bottle necked. I'm not saying that you are, just that this is no prof on its own.
Since you CPU is a 8 logical core that means that one thread fully utilization the time ono a logical core, is just 12.5% of total CPU utilization. So any software that take 12.5% or more might be bottleneck be the core speed. you will need to see the thread load as well as total load to be able to judge CPU bottleneck or not.

Here is a mind-case
You software has 2 threads that are highly CPU dependent (could be data compression)t. On your CPU you will see 25% CPU utilization and by you logic think: "nope CPU is not holding me back". While in fact they are starving for more CPU speed.
Games usually only have 1-3 CPU heavy threads so it very possible to have a CPU bottleneck while still having a low overall CPU utilization.

If you really want to check. use process explore and see the individual threads CPU load. if you have any threads from the software hitting (100%/logical cores) load. Then the software can use more CPU speed. aka higher frequency.

Your temps are a bit high. I would go for an AIO Water Cooler.

Be sure to check for vdroop. I set mine to high. Without it on, my system was blue screening while testing on P95 due to sudden voltage drops.

Your temps are a bit high. I would go for an AIO Water Cooler.

Be sure to check for vdroop. I set mine to high. Without it on, my system was blue screening while testing on P95 due to sudden voltage drops.

^ This.
Vdroop is the biggest enemy while OCing under stress tests. Try to set your LLC to high if you haven't already.

Back