• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I get a lemon 5900XT?

Arti

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
93
I can barely overclock it at all. It only reaches 425/700 stably via the Coolbits overclocking tab. It's a Chaintech, I know I should have gotten a different brand but I wasn't planning on OCing it at the time and I got a good price on it. Anyways, will reinstalling drivers or anything help me get a better overclock? Or any other advice?
 
You didn't get a "lemon". Your card works fine. As far as OC'ing goes, you can examine the card and make sure that there is good, solid contact between the gpu core and the hsf. You could add a 3rd party hsf and a memory cooling kit and that would help you to get a higher OC. You can't really do much to help your card OC with software, you might gain 20 megahertz at most by using a different version of coolbits, but that is not likely.
 
9800SE's cards mostly 9800 Pro's with broken pipelines.

So we could put the same theory to nVidia.

It's very possible that most, if not all, the older 5900 Ultras or whatever that had poor cores that couldn't handle the highspeeds were labled as 5900XT's.

So I guess you could say you got a lemon. Though I dont know what a common 5900XT overclock is. You could''ve gotten a really bad one, or maybe your clock is normal and thats all your really expected to get.
 
Well, I guess I just used the word "lemon" incorrectly then :p

But cooling shouldn't be the problem. It idles at 41-42C and doesn't go above 60C on load. I've heard people getting 450+/760+, so I was just wondering if I got a crappy one.
 
Many factors can affect a card's ability to overclock: ambient case temperature, the case's cooling, the power supply, the motherboard, the card's BIOS revision, and millions of other factors.
 
Which are you having trouble with? The GPU or the Memory? I have a 5900xt too and i can overclock the core to 450 and well beyond without any trouble (Atleast it doesn't screw up any of the benchmarkers). But pulling the memory past 725 guarantees a crash every time.

Kinda disappointed, coz it's already got hynix memory chips, i thought i could overclock it more :(
 
My Gainward 5900xt golden sample will run at near 5950 ultra specs, with almost any game I throw at it. The only glaring exception to this that I have tried is Doom 3. For Doom 3 if I set it to anywhere but a little higher than Gainwards stock enhanced setting, the lighting in Doom 3 goes haywire.
 
Back
Top