Did I fry one of my cores?

GibsonLA

n00b
Hardware Info
Procesor: i7-930
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm 640gb
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58

So I started overclocking my processor. Finally got a stable setting at 3.6 but after I got done testing everything I noticed that in realtemp its now only reporting the temperature for 3 cores as opposed to when it originally reported temps for all 4 cores..

Please assuage my fears and tell me I didn't fry a core or something . . . . Picture below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45734039@N05/4544497838/

Never seen that before. Shut it down, reset bios and pray.

BTW, your temps and voltages look ok. What were you pushing when things went wrong?

Excuse my ignorance but how do I check it in task manager?

Open task manager, in the Performance tab do you see 3/4/6/8 graphs in the CPU usage section?

Is this a fresh install? Did you make any changes to the start-up files? Windows has a setting which limits the number of cores. I set mine manually for some reason on my Q6600 so when I upgraded to i7 I only saw 4 cores with HT on. Can't remember what I set, but it is not something that will change unless someone sets it manually.

It shows 8 graphs, and yes it's a fresh install, and no I did not change any of the start up files

If your seeing 8 graphs then it is not a Windows OS issue.

Do all 8 graphs show activity? If so then maybe there is something wrong with the temp sensors? Try another program.

Run something to load all 8 threads. Intel Burn Test or prime95 are good choices.

Then look at the graphs. My bet is the sensor is stuck.

Run something to load all 8 threads. Intel Burn Test or prime95 are good choices.

Then look at the graphs. My bet is the sensor is stuck.

If you have the option you might want to return the CPU.

Did you mean 4 or 8 of the graphs had activity?

you could also use CoreTemp to measure temps, guessing it was a bug in RealTemps code

Run RealTemp.exe

You ran RealTempGT.exe

I see the same thing in the GT.

Your CPU is not broken.

You ran the wrong executable. I'm not sure what realtempGT.exe is for, but it's never right. :p Realtemp.exe works fine.

Back