Did I damage my PSU?

jrbryner

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 6, 2001
Messages
1,530
I was upgrading my fileserver this weekend and did something very clumsy. I had the PSU cable to the motherboard shorted so that the PSU would power up without having the computer on and I was rearranging some of the plugs. On one of the hard drives I accidently put the power plug in crooked and it shorted out the PSU. I don't know exactly how I accomplished that, but there's a "crack" and the PSU immediately shut off. At first it wouldn't turn back on. I left it off for a minute or so and tried again, still didn't turn on. I then unplugged it, waited a minute and plugged it in and flipped the switch to on and it ran fine.

So did doing that damage the PSU at all? The hard drive seems to be okay, the data is all there and S.M.A.R.T. is reading that the drive is fine.

The PSU is an Antec TruePower 430w.
 
Typically if you trip the protection on a PSU, simply flipping the switch on the back doesn't turn it back on. You have to actually unplug it, wait, and then plug it back in.
 
Wow I thought I was the only one dumb enough to that lol I did the exact same thing a while back my psu made a loud crack and shut down I just unplugged it and plugged it in and everything was just fine.
 
gridracer said:
Wow I thought I was the only one dumb enough to that lol I did the exact same thing a while back my psu made a loud crack and shut down I just unplugged it and plugged it in and everything was just fine.

Happens all of the time. I actually had a guy plug the power connector into a floppy drive COMPLETELY UPSIDEDOWN.

The red and yellow wires actually singed a good 4" from the drive before the PSU tripped.

Power supply still worked. Had to cut that connector off... but still worked. ;)
 
Sounds like the PSU's overload protection did exactly what it was designed for. Glad it still works for ya.
 
Back
Top