• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I damage my processor?

Starrfoxx

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
67
I've had to pull out a processor from my motherboard to replace it with another processor. As you know, when installing an AM2 processor there is this silver latch you lift before placing the processor in. Then you push the latch down and snap it into place, put the heatsink on, etc.

Well, when I took my processor off, the heatsink was really "glued" tight to the processor. Instead of the heatsink coming off the processor, the whole heatsink WITH the processor came right out of the motherboard. The silver latch was still pushed down and locked into place too.

Naturally, this has got me a bit concerned. I looked at the pins on the processor, but they look perfectly fine. Nothing looks bent. The same exact scenario happened with another processor I tried. It just came straight out of the slot with the silver latch down. The pins on that processor look fine too.

At the moment, I don't know if the processors work or not. I think my motherboard is DOA. I'm just concerned the processors got damaged after removing them. What do you think? Is it possible that the processor wasn't completely in the motherboard to begin with? Is the locking mechanism itself broke and never had it locked into place?
 
You're not the first person this has happened to. As long as the pins aren't bent, you should be fine.
 
You're not the first person this has happened to. As long as the pins aren't bent, you should be fine.

+1 Yep just make sure no pins go broken off in the socket either

It is possible that the CPU was never all the way in the socket, but it is more likely that you just pulled it out. When you say the same thing happened to another processor do you mean on the same motherboard? If so then there may be something wrong with the locking mechanism.

I'm confused to how your motherboard is DOA if it was working and were swapping processors though...
 
Happened to me all the time with the older P4's and the heatspreader w/ the hole. Thing caused a suction.
 
To answer the above question, the change of two processors was on the same motherboard. The motherboard is new, because I had a problem with the last one so I RMA'd it. It's a long story, but it's on another thread on the forum.
 
I have learnt from so many repair jobs that if it comes out while the latch is down and the pins are all accounted for and not bent over then your okay, the CPU will live on.

The trick I learned is to unlatch the heat sink, then give it a very slight gentle twist both clockwise and counter clockwise while pulling ever so slightly and it will let go of the CPU before pulling it out with it.
 
I hate to say this but this actually part of the reason why intel developed the socket 775, I personaly think socket 775 is garbage but that clamp to hold down the CPU sure is nice when trying to remove a heat sink.
 
I've pulled the proc out with my HSF a few times, never a problem.
 
Proper application of some warm air from a hairdryer will help as you twist to remove to heatsink. Taking your time is key tho.

I have never had what you describe happen to me.
 
Back
Top