• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I brick my TX650?

Camberwell

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
961
So today I was doing a 7v mod to fan that was connected to the psu but it was switched off. Unfortunately my 5 year old snuck up behind me and turned the pc on and the 12v and 5v wires touched and shorted the pc.

I just did the paper clip test, and the fan on the psu span up fine. I re-connected my video card and my sata hdd, and it booted just fine.

However, as soon as I try to use a molex connection (either for my ide hdd, or even a 120mm fan), the pc stays completely dead. My multimeter reads 12v from the molex connectors. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to rma/buy a new psu?
 
Last edited:
120mm fans now seem to run ok from molex connections, but I think my slave drive (160Gb ide) is junked. If I have a molex conection hooked up, the pc will do nothing (no small fan movement, beep or anything), but if I remove the molex connection from the ide drive, the pc boots up and runs just fine.

Can a broken hard drive affect the whole system that way? I removed the ide cable and just tried to power it up, but there was nothing.

The psu is now also chirping every 5 secs, so I will rma anyway, but I need to test my ide drive in someone elses system to see if it's really gone for good....
 
I've had a dead hard drive keep a system from powering up, so that's very possible.

Yes, it's a good idea to test it just to make sure before tossing it.
 
this is why it's good practice to unplug the PC from the wall when working on the innards :p
 
this is why it's good practice to unplug the PC from the wall when working on the innards :p

I know, it's such a numbnuts thing to do, but it was one fan and I knew it would just take a second - just goes to prove what they say about working around animals and kids! ;)
 
120mm fans now seem to run ok from molex connections, but I think my slave drive (160Gb ide) is junked. If I have a molex conection hooked up, the pc will do nothing (no small fan movement, beep or anything), but if I remove the molex connection from the ide drive, the pc boots up and runs just fine.

Can a broken hard drive affect the whole system that way? I removed the ide cable and just tried to power it up, but there was nothing.

The psu is now also chirping every 5 secs, so I will rma anyway, but I need to test my ide drive in someone elses system to see if it's really gone for good....

I gotta ask, you are going to RMA a PSU you pooched?:confused:
 
I gotta ask, you are going to RMA a PSU you pooched?:confused:

This may be a noobish question, but I bought this model because of the advertised Short Circuit Protection, if that doesn't work shouldn't I be able to rma? SCP is supposed to protect the other hardware components but one of hdd's is now fried. Here in the Netherlands they are pretty strict about circumstances to begin the rma process, so if I get past that stage then it will be because it's for a valid reason....I'm not looking to rip anybody off here.
 
Last edited:
I had placed the same post as the first one in this thread on the Corsair forum, and was told by Ram Guy to fill out their rma form. Amazing support, it's one of the reasons I always advise my friends and collegues to buy Corsair!
 
Make sure it's dead first! It could be another component, or perhaps one of the pins connecting to the mobo isn't getting contact. You can use a razor blade to to squish together the metal contacts on the 24-pin mobo connector as well to ensure it's getting good contact.
 
Back
Top