Did I break it? X850 won't power up

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
I was working in my system swapping a hard drive, and when I powered it back on it did the "fan twitch/shut back off immediately" thing that happens when you get a short.

I systematically unplugged stuff until it turned out it was my ATI x850 AGP. When it's unpowered it displays an error saying to connect the power, and when it's powered, the system cuts power in about 1/10 second (shorting out?)

Not sure if maybe I tugged on the molex on the wrong angle and damaged it (I was working on HDDs nearby.. but gently so I thought. Any idea what happened? Any hope for revival? (I've since rolled back to a Ti4200 lol don't plan on doing any gaming!)

It's a modular 400W PSU (Antec IIRC) ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, ATI brand-name X850, P4 2.8, 2 GB DDR400. Not looking to spend any money on this system obviously.

Yikes!
I think I better try plugging the video card into another system to see if it has the same effect on another computer. If not I guess I'll be getting another PSU. Which sucks since this is already #2, if I replace it that'll be 3rd PSU in 6 years. No doubt I could have chosen a better PSU but jeez.

It does sound like a dead power supply. If the psu has multiple rails it may also be the overcurrent protection tripping because of too many devices on one rail. Try a different molex lead from the PSU to the video card, and look for any shorts.

Back