Did ayone else's Vista BSOD last night?

clarkkent57

Limp Gawd
Yesterday, after my system recieved a Defender update, my computer crashed several times, and then, for awhile, the Firewall wouldn't work.

After a couple of hours, everything was fine.

Thank God for RAID 5! In a five-disk config, it's worth losing the storage space on the 5th drive.

nope, working on my CompSci project till about 2am, then saved it and went to bed. I got up at 7:00 and it was still up waiting on my to finish it.

Updated my exchange server (server 2008) and it did a defender scan. Now something is wrong with the store. It won't stop when shutting down or start when it boots. Have to do both manually. I didn't realize they put defender in Server 2008 until last night. Would have killed it a long time ago otherwise. :mad:

Yesterday, after my system recieved a Defender update, my computer crashed several times, and then, for awhile, the Firewall wouldn't work.

After a couple of hours, everything was fine.

Thank God for RAID 5! In a five-disk config, it's worth losing the storage space on the 5th drive.

How did RAID5 help you there?

It really only helps against hardware disk failurs... isn't going to do anything for software errors, like bad updates.

How did RAID5 help you there?

It really only helps against hardware disk failurs... isn't going to do anything for software errors, like bad updates.

Exactly. Raid5 is NOT a backup, it its a REDUNDANT sytem that can mitigate failure till you can repair it.

my system goes into a seizure when i do the "Remove Hardware Safely" (to remove a thumbdrive out of the USB port. My screen would flicker with circling ball icon.... screen goes blank. I had to pull the drive out and the system vomit before it gets better. My dual monitor setting is reset with 1 and 2 switch position. Weird huh?

Exactly. Raid5 is NOT a backup, it its a REDUNDANT sytem that can mitigate failure till you can repair it.

It's about maintaining data integrity when you BSOD, along with protecting against hardware failure.

Can't do much about bad software that gets piped to your computer by the OS, regardless what you run.

:rolleyes:

It's about maintaining data integrity when you BSOD, along with protecting against hardware failure.

Can't do much about bad software that gets piped to your computer by the OS, regardless what you run.

:rolleyes:

How does RAID at any level maintain data integrity? A corrupted registry or BCD is still going to exist on a RAID array just like it would a single drive. A deleted file is still going to be deleted on a RAID array just like it would a single drive. The only thing RAID5 is good for is staying up and running in the event one of your drives fail without the capacity setback that RAID1 offers.

How does RAID at any level maintain data integrity? A corrupted registry or BCD is still going to exist on a RAID array just like it would a single drive. A deleted file is still going to be deleted on a RAID array just like it would a single drive. The only thing RAID5 is good for is staying up and running in the event one of your drives fail without the capacity setback that RAID1 offers.

Exactly. Raid controllers don't main data integrity farther than parity data for the data split between the hard drives. If something fucks and bad data is send the controller it will still write it. A BSOD is a BSOD, if its during a file write to 1 or 100 hard drives, its still likely to corrupt something unless.

This is an accurate assessment. OP's got his wires crossed.

Mine did. It must have crashed while I was away. I locked the desktop before I left, and when I came back and logged in, I had to do a full login. Then a message popped up saying some bullshit about recovering from a unexpected shutdown.

Are you sure Defender caused this? Do you have the dump files for me too look at?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back