Did Apple Pull the Plug on iPad App Ad?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
One day there is an amusing app advertisement and the next day, poof, it’s gone. Word is Apple wasn’t pleased with the breaking glass scenario and pulled the plug on Newsday with a cease and desist order. If Apple did pull the plug, all I can say is grow a sense of humor Steve, it was a funny advertisement.

I think the only thing Steve Jobs seems to get enjoyment from is seeing other people groveling at Apple's doorstep...

I am so glad I never accepted a job with them back in the 80s. I may have made some huge HUGE gigantor mistakes in this lifetime but, even in spite of Apple's current level of success, that one decision was definitely one of the best ones I've ever made.

Probably claimed it made the ipad look fragile or something. IMO it's ridiculous to ask them to pull the ad considering even hardcore Apple supporters would realize you shouldn't smack something made of glass into a counter at full speed to kill a fly, and that it's in no way saying that in normal day to day activity the ipad is fragile.

Can't wait till iPad 2.0 comes out so they can get up there in Google's territory:

"The new iPad 2.0, with a custom glass composite that's 60x stronger than plastic!!!"

Like, who the hell would ever compare the strength of glass to that of plastic as a marketing aspect... ?

Apple, that's who.

Oh, and there's one more thing...

How many people think they got this ad filmed, done, and in the can in one take? I wonder how many iPads they destroyed to get it perfect... ;)

I loved it!

As CEO's grow up they get stupid.

Stupid Apple.

Absolutely. It would be no different than using my MX11 to smash the fly. It's a funny commercial. I can't wait for the droid tablets to come out as I have been keeping my wife at bay from buying her an iPad (wife + iPad = opportunity for hilarious play on monthly cycles but w/e) by promising the her a Droid one ;P

I am so glad I never accepted a job with them back in the 80s.

Posting on [H] makes me feel young sometimes :eek:

I can't wait for the droid tablets to come out as I have been keeping my wife at bay from buying her an iPad (wife + iPad = opportunity for hilarious play on monthly cycles but w/e) by promising the her a Droid one ;P

Shouldn't be too long until someone gets a solid model out the door. The Galaxy is weak tea but there will be some more robust devices by Q1 2011 I think.

Anyone else notice that first 'touch' he did didn't register and he went to press it again and they edited it out >>?

Apple is perfect and above criticism. Apple SS has been dispatched to take care of you dissenting troublemakers. Have a nice day, or else...

Probably claimed it made the ipad look fragile or something. IMO it's ridiculous to ask them to pull the ad considering even hardcore Apple supporters would realize you shouldn't smack something made of glass into a counter at full speed to kill a fly, and that it's in no way saying that in normal day to day activity the ipad is fragile.

Because it is fragile.

Really its a fantastic public service announcement for all apple people to protect their new apple device from damage either by adjusting behavior or by wrapping it with a thick rubbery plastic trim

FFS Apple. Seriously get a fooking life. They seem to have taken offence to the image of the iPad glass shattering into shards. Seriously?!?. What do they think happens when glass gets shattered. Wouldn't suprise me if Apple tries to convince us that iPads shatter into candy and rainbows. Twats

When will Apple learn that embracing those kinds of things and utilizing the ad and building on it with jovial ads to what the ipad COULD survive.. would be WAY WAY more beneficial than sending C&D orders?

Honey idiots... honey.

This is why Apple haters hate.

Steve Jobs

I saw this ad on TV and this is why I hate and refuse to buy Apple products.

The ad was great Apple being butt hurt and yanking the add .. . not so great

Oh, and there's one more thing...

How many people think they got this ad filmed, done, and in the can in one take? I wonder how many iPads they destroyed to get it perfect... ;)

not enough

I loved it!

As CEO's grow up they get stupid.

Stupid Apple.

Cancer makes you crazy .. . . too soon ?

It's not the glass breaking that got the ad pulled. It got pulled because it showed a fly surviving a direct hit from the iPad. How can the iPad be MAGICAL if it can't even kill a housefly? Hence Apple got it pulled.

Lol, I HATE everything apple, but that was the BEST i've felt about an apple type add in basically.....ever. I really enjoyed it

The ad was great Apple being butt hurt and yanking the add .. . not so great

How did they get butt hurt? Imagine if you will a commerical for a tv where by some means a hunter sees an animal on the tv. Maybe some people are out camping and just happen to bring a large screen tv with them. Hunter sees the animal and due to the great HD quality of the tv thinks it is real and shoots the tv. That or a game has somebody forget they are playing a game and really shot the tv, or playing a baseball game and try to throw a real baseball at the tv. In the end all that is happening is that something is causing you to forget that your using technology, not trying to show that the technology in use isn't unbreakable. In the app comerical, they are showing you how usng the app is just as good as getting the printed version of the paper except that you can't use it to kill bugs like you could with the real thing. The breaking of the ipad wasn't to show that you can break an ipad but was just mean to be a funny part of the commerical.

I thought it was funny. Too bad Apple can't laugh at someone else's creativity. I don't think this ad would ever make me want to buy an iPad less than I already do, whether I really wanted one or not. If you try to squash a bug with any glass device like this, the quick impact will break the glass.

LOL. Not the best Newsweek could have done but chuckle worthy nonetheless

Decent add. Typical Apple.

The add wasn't "look at the flimsy product." It was "don't hit shit with your expensive toy."

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!

Awesome... and Jobs got his little wee-wee hurt when it got whacked by the iTampon... :rolleyes:

I don't believe the glass would shatter like that. Just sayin'.

I laughed, though. Good commercial.

The more scratch resistant and 'strong' they make a glass the more brittle it becomes. I know a bunch of people that grabbed the latest iPhones as soon as they were available, the ones with Apple's "magical glass composite that's 30x stronger than plastic" and were quite surprised to find the entire display area shattered like a spider web from a fall of no more than 18" onto a thickly carpeted floor or something similar.

It ain't how you fall, it's how you hit that breaks it... catch the angle just right on impact and, oh well, spider webs. ;)

Back