Did Apple Doctor Evidence in Samsung Patent Suit?

It looks like an iPad per Apples description, that's all that matters since this is their lawsuit. In reality, knowing what is and isn't iPad is a test that nobody can fail because it's incredibly obvious that one has an Apple logo, runs a certain OS, and looks a certain way. Similar does not mean copied, especially when the market is saturated with similar designs (it is), and similar designs existed before the iPad even. So Samsung wanted it to be thinner to be more competitive, how does Apple own thickness? The concept of thinner/lighter has been around for far longer than Apple. They are defeating themselves with their own argument really, either similar is fine or it's not. If it's not, then Apple itself has already done exactly what they are suing for are hypocrites (big surprise).

Let's take this out of the realm of theoretical and place it firmly in reality. If I go to Best Buy or any electronic store to buy an iPad, am I going to have a hard time finding it on the shelf? Will I cry endless tears being surrounded by white boxes with tablet shapes on them and be unable to accomplish my goal of getting an iPad? Oh wait, this one says Apple right here. Oh look, it's also on the price tag. Oh hey, a store guy is also here to help me in case I am so literally retarded that I cannot figure out which is the iPad. Apples argument is a load of shit and no intelligent person can agree with it.

If you put an iPad and the Samsung tablet (or any of them all together) then you can tell immediately which is the iPad, unless you've never seen an iPad before. If that's the case then why the hell does it matter?!?!? If I don't ever WANT to have an iPad, why do I need to know what it looks like?!? If I DO want an iPad, then of course I will know what it looks like and have the brain slightly larger than the average animal that is required to read and know how to find something on a department shelf. Apple is in effect insulting our collective intelligence's here.

Find me how many people have taken home a Galaxy Tab and have opened it only to be surprised that it is in fact not the iPad that they were sure they were buying. You and I both know that's not going to happen. And even if it actually did happen on the rarest of occasions when our moon is aligned with a sacred tree in south America, no legislation can save such retards from themselves.

In conclusion, what gives Apple the right to dictate how anything can be marketed, sold, boxed, etc? Nothing unless it's a direct copy. And it's clearly not.

You are tossing out the entire point of the complaint and focusing on the section that's required to be a bare bones description. The new Tab looks a lot like the iPad. If they were turned off and you just saw the face of it or if they were turned on and you just saw the App Drawer open on the Tab, regular Joe users would be confused as to which is which, same goes for the box at first glance, before you read the words, same goes for the obvious homage of the icons in TouchWiz, so much so that Samsung is killing it off, the box design and tray setup in the way that it's being done here wasn't really done before Apple did it. It's not whether someone walks out of the store with it instead because they think are convinced it IS an iPad, it's that enough elements are alarmingly samey that it violates Trademark and or Trade Dress law. Samsung is trying to say, "Hey, you hate Apple without regard to logic, stop posting on the [H] forums for a sec and buy this because it's close enough to an iPad that you'll like it without having to buy from Apple!". Box: No tabs (no pun intended), no fold overs, a bottom with a tray underneath which the cords and manuals stacked and on top of that a plastic tray cradling the device and a top slightly larger that comes down over it. Together these things point to copying, as does the new design announced as a direct response to the iPad2. It's not about thickness, its about having re-designed your product such that it now looks a lot like the iPad (the others don't and saying the do beyond the basic shape, which isn't the point here, is intellectually dishonest), sold in a box like the iPad with a custom UI on top of Android that mimics iOS, is. Moto made the Xoom, HTC made the Flyer, BN made the nook -- none of these have these combined issues that lead to this lawsuit.

WTS iPad : $499

6984W.jpg

FAQ:
Q) How do I know this is a real iPad? It is so hard to tell these days!
A) You know because it has a white box, four rounded edges, icons, and a touch screen. Who else would dare design such a device?

The nook has that wacky corner thing, making it very unique, it also does not have a metal outer bevel, doesn't have a pane of glass covering the entire front and has a plastic bevel that comes up above the plane of the screen. I had one until recently (yay, xda-devs :)) and the device, the OS and the boxing are not like the iPads.

Ad hominem attack is one of the last refuges of the person who has lost the argument. The point is not that you can still tell them apart, it's the extent to which they are similar (which, I'll give you a hint, is a lot).

You are tossing out the entire point of the complaint and focusing on the section that's required to be a bare bones description. The new Tab looks a lot like the iPad. If they were turned off and you just saw the face of it or if they were turned on and you just saw the App Drawer open on the Tab, regular Joe users would be confused as to which is which, same goes for the box at first glance, before you read the words, same goes for the obvious homage of the icons in TouchWiz, so much so that Samsung is killing it off, the box design and tray setup in the way that it's being done here wasn't really done before Apple did it. It's not whether someone walks out of the store with it instead because they think are convinced it IS an iPad, it's that enough elements are alarmingly samey that it violates Trademark and or Trade Dress law. Samsung is trying to say, "Hey, you hate Apple without regard to logic, stop posting on the [H] forums for a sec and buy this because it's close enough to an iPad that you'll like it without having to buy from Apple!". Box: No tabs (no pun intended), no fold overs, a bottom with a tray underneath which the cords and manuals stacked and on top of that a plastic tray cradling the device and a top slightly larger that comes down over it. Together these things point to copying, as does the new design announced as a direct response to the iPad2. It's not about thickness, its about having re-designed your product such that it now looks a lot like the iPad (the others don't and saying the do beyond the basic shape, which isn't the point here, is intellectually dishonest), sold in a box like the iPad with a custom UI on top of Android that mimics iOS, is. Moto made the Xoom, HTC made the Flyer, BN made the nook -- none of these have these combined issues that lead to this lawsuit.

You are missing the entire point, what is Apple actually complaining about? To copy something means to make a copy of it. They are clearly not copies. This is as ridiculous as two calculator companies suing each other because they both use a grid layout for the keys. Or two hatchback cars. You say only that one tab looks like an iPad? They all look the same based on Apple's own description. Apple can't have it both ways, either they are all similar or not. THEY ARE ALL SIMILAR. But they are not copies. None of that stuff you mentioned above affects ANYTHING in real life. You claim that regular Joe users would only mistake these two products. If Joe user is truly that dumb, then they are in trouble because they all share the same design because THAT'S THE STANDARD DESIGN (which existed before the iPad).

Apple is just working the system for money and attacking their competition the only way they can, plain and simple.

The nook has that wacky corner thing, making it very unique, it also does not have a metal outer bevel, doesn't have a pane of glass covering the entire front and has a plastic bevel that comes up above the plane of the screen. I had one until recently (yay, xda-devs :)) and the device, the OS and the boxing are not like the iPads.

I've had numerous people ask if it was an iPad, so I guess you're wrong! The same with my original Galaxy Tab and now with my HTC View tablet. Everyone asks if they are iPads. So not only does Apple literally have nothing to worry about, their litigation cannot change how dumb people are so it's pointless UNLESS they just want to screw their competition. Hmm could that be it? Yep.

You are missing the entire point, what is Apple actually complaining about? To copy something means to make a copy of it. They are clearly not copies. This is as ridiculous as two calculator companies suing each other because they both use a grid layout for the keys. Or two hatchback cars. You say only that one tab looks like an iPad? They all look the same based on Apple's own description. Apple can't have it both ways, either they are all similar or not. THEY ARE ALL SIMILAR. But they are not copies. None of that stuff you mentioned above affects ANYTHING in real life. You claim that regular Joe users would only mistake these two products. If Joe user is truly that dumb, then they are in trouble because they all share the same design because THAT'S THE STANDARD DESIGN (which existed before the iPad).

Apple is just working the system for money and attacking their competition the only way they can, plain and simple.

No one would be stupid enough to make an EXACT duplicate. You say they all look the same based on Apple's description, but the nook and the XOOM don't actually match Apple's description. They are all similar, sure, but the extent to which they are similar in combination with similar packagin, similar UI layer etc leads to a charge that the court sees as having merit. The SPECIFIC design elements called out are not common to all tablets. Apple already makes 66% of the profit in mobile phones and 21x the profit of all other tablets combined. You don't bother suing people from that position unless there is grounds as their clearly is with Samsung's recent designs.

I've had numerous people ask if it was an iPad, so I guess you're wrong! The same with my original Galaxy Tab and now with my HTC View tablet. Everyone asks if they are iPads. So not only does Apple literally have nothing to worry about, their litigation cannot change how dumb people are so it's pointless UNLESS they just want to screw their competition. Hmm could that be it? Yep.

There's a difference between people being dumb and a violation of trademark and trade dress. The nook is obviously not an iPad to people familiar with tablets, the Tab is confusingly similar. Also confusing the issue is that people call a category of product by the brand name of the dominant player in that market - Kleenex for tissues, iPad for tablet, Coke for cola, etc.

The courts would throw out a suit that had no grounds (better product), which they have not done. Using Honeycomb would disabuse most people of that notion anyhow ;)

The courts would throw out a suit that had no grounds (better product), which they have not done. Using Honeycomb would disabuse most people of that notion anyhow ;)

The courts are hardly a benchmark for intelligence when it comes to technology, we all know this. It's up to technology companies to be responsible about their litigation and not just waste everyones time and money, OR use it as a tool to squish competition unfairly (anyone remember A3D?).

Guess how many of these tablets have white boxes? Guess how much it matters? (It doesn't)

3HjZy.jpg

OHGOD everyone sue everyone they all are basically 95% the same, just like cars and literally every other type of anything! A design standard was established a long time ago, before the iPad. Apple doesn't get to own an idea just because they helped make it more popular. That's what this is about, well that and Apple is a shit company.

I should clarify that. Apple makes "good" products. Not great, just good. They deserve some kind of "good job" I guess. But no amount of "good" makes me want to buy something from the technology equivalent of a dickhead.

I think the real issue here is that this is all about apple's registered design of this

000181607_0001_3_source.jpg

Does no one else see this whole thing as a joke?
The rest of the pictures and further details on this registered design are here take a look if you want a good laugh.
Damn dude, that looks like this... They call them windows.

I should clarify that. Apple makes "good" products. Not great, just good. They deserve some kind of "good job" I guess. But no amount of "good" makes me want to buy something from the technology equivalent of a dickhead.

That qualification leaves you with few places to go :) Most companies behave like greedy children:) As far as the courts, there are very specific rules that they have to follow with this kind of stuff and they end up being moved to or filed with districts that are knowledgable in this type of stuff. Whether you like or agree with the courts or not, they have a set of rules they have to follow that doesn't lead to random wackiness.

Again, it's not about 'white box' or 'rectangle' -- go back upthread and read Nilay Patel's breakdown of some of this from ThisIsMyNext.com and you pretty much have to see that the combination of things that Samsung is doing is on dangerous ground as far as Trakemark and Trade Dress.

The breakdown changes nothing, Apple doesn't own any aspect of any part of that breakdown and if you total them all up it doesn't actually change reality in any way. People don't say "Well I was going to buy a Galaxy Tab, but then I realized it wasn't placed just so in it's box like the iPad is" or "I was going to buy an iPad but HOLY SHIT the Galaxy tab also has rounded edges and a back part!!!!!" It's like when your kids tell you a straight up lie that they think is totally believable, except no parent would believe such crap. Apple is trying to tell the courts that their product is in jeopardy over this, and only an idiot would believe that because their product is just like everyone else's. Not the other way around. They had the first really popular one, but they didn't create the tablet segment nor can they own it. Stop and think about what a trademark is:

A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others

Sorry, you should've made your iPad a triangle then. Your mistake Apple.

If I want to box up my products a certain way, make them look similar to all the other standardized products in the market, and advertise them without stealing any marketing, then I can do it because fuck you I'm an American! :D

And to use your handy site to make the overall point:

Now, some of these are a little ridiculous when taken individually — is Apple going to sue every digital photo frame maker that puts equal size black borders around the screen as well? — but in the end, the main question for the court will be whether or not Samsung has used all of these elements in a way that’s likely to confuse consumers about what they’re buying. Does the overall impression of Samsung’s hardware and software lead people to think it’s actually from Apple? Does the box? (We’re simplifying again, but that’s the crux of the issue.) In response, Samsung’s best bet is to argue that its products and packaging aren’t confusingly similar, and if that doesn’t work, to somehow prove that consumers aren’t actually being confused."

Basically if Samsung loses this it's because they have the shittiest lawyers on the planet, not because there is an actual case. Anyone that can stand there and be confused about what they are buying isn't fit to be called "intelligent life."

And to use your handy site to make the overall point:

Basically if Samsung loses this it's because they have the shittiest lawyers on the planet, not because there is an actual case. Anyone that can stand there and be confused about what they are buying isn't fit to be called "intelligent life."

The lawyers on both sides and the judge and the American Civil Code disagree with you :)

The lawyers on both sides and the judge and the American Civil Code disagree with you :)

Which is to say, we can't solv3e all the worlds problems on a message board, let's go have a beer :)

Also --- HP bought Autonomy, may spin off their Personal Systems Group (PCs) and is killing off WebOS phones and Tablets.

RIP WebOS :( I'll mourn never being able to develop for it.

Pretty sad :( Wonder what the chances are of a disgruntled Android ODM working with it.

One can only hope that Google with license/buy WebOS from HP and use it instead of Android. Speaking as a professional Android developer here :)

It should offer far more of a counterweight against iOS than Android, even at 3.2, can. I want my OpenAL, darnit.

Given the emails that have surfaced lately in the Oracle case, there are worse ideas, certainly. It would be a rough transition, but it would make things interesting :).

Back