Did a little overclocking last night.....

MattWeb

Limp Gawd
Holy Shiat! These Intel C2D's are insane. (former AMD guy)

overclock.jpg

Idle = 27c-29c @79f ambient
Load = 57c max after 12 hours of Prime95

I know this thing has more in her but I got scared. I did however pay extra for a "no questions asked return policy" on the MOBO and CPU. Sooooooo....:D

3400 MHz for the Core2Duo seems like a sweet spot to me. With a good one you don't have to give it too much voltage.

CPUz is reporting 1.440 volts at idle in your screen shot which is probably correct. When CPUz starts reporting 1.21 volts or something similar it is usually screwing up.

My E6400 does 3400 MHz ( 425 x 8 ) with 1.424 volts at idle. The voltage and heat go up quickly after this point. Fantastic processors.

What type of cooler are you using?

Nice OC.

Some of the new E6600 processors seem to have a TjMax or maximum temperature of 100C. The problem is that if your temperature monitoring program thinks your TjMax is 85C then your reported temps will be 15C less than what they actually are.

Here's the formula used:
Reported core temperature = TjMax - DTS

If software doesn't properly read TjMax then you can see there will be a possible +/- 15C difference in reported temps. Intel has no documented way to read TjMax so all software monitoring programs are left guessing.

Knowing what temps my E6400 runs at 3400 MHz and 1.40 volts with the Intel heatsink and fan, it's possible that your load temps are actually 72C and not 57C.

Head to this thread to learn more about this problem and how to determine what your processor actually is:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174781

hot76crv0.png

Nice OC.

Some of the new E6600 processors seem to have a TjMax or maximum temperature of 100C. The problem is that if your temperature monitoring program thinks your TjMax is 85C then your reported temps will be 15C less than what they actually are.

Here's the formula used:
Reported core temperature = TjMax - DTS

If software doesn't properly read TjMax then you can see there will be a possible +/- 15C difference in reported temps. Intel has no documented way to read TjMax so all software monitoring programs are left guessing.

Knowing what temps my E6400 runs at 3400 MHz and 1.40 volts with the Intel heatsink and fan, it's possible that your load temps are actually 72C and not 57C.

Head to this thread to learn more about this problem and how to determine what your processor actually is:
Thanks, good info. I saw that thread which prompted me to open the case and feel the HSF while under load again while not a accurate way of testing by any means. It defiantly doesn't feel that warm. Feels approx. the same as my old AMD which used to load at 55c.

Holy Shiat! These Intel C2D's are insane. (former AMD guy)

overclock.jpg

Idle = 27c-29c @79f ambient
Load = 57c max after 12 hours of Prime95

I know this thing has more in her but I got scared. I did however pay extra for a "no questions asked return policy" on the MOBO and CPU. Sooooooo....:D

Wow, what mb/ram are you using? It's upgrade season and I've been an AMD guy for several years now so I'm just starting to figure out what hw I'll need to get the best o/c results on the Intel side. I don't think I want to wait for the quads to drop in price in July so the E6600 seems like a no brainer at this point. I was thinking E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, and OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1GB). Also wondering where you got the CPU. I was thinking about picking up the board and CPU from buy.com as they also have the 8800 GTS 640MB for under $300 after rebate.

Thanks!

Rhindle

Wow, what mb/ram are you using? It's upgrade season and I've been an AMD guy for several years now so I'm just starting to figure out what hw I'll need to get the best o/c results on the Intel side. I don't think I want to wait for the quads to drop in price in July so the E6600 seems like a no brainer at this point. I was thinking E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, and OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1GB). Also wondering where you got the CPU. I was thinking about picking up the board and CPU from buy.com as they also have the 8800 GTS 640MB for under $300 after rebate.

Thanks!

Rhindle
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_dual_channel

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1474&l1=3&l2=11&l3=473

I picked them both up at Fry's, local brick and mortar electronics store. I paid approx. $ 290 for the pair, I could have found a better price online but for an extra $35 I get a no questions asked return policy for 2 years. Overclocking is included in those questions they do not ask also. I picked up everything there. (CPU, RAM, MOBO, Raptor,)

Back