Diamond Radeon 5870 - keep it or not?

LanceDiamond

Limp Gawd
I made the mistake of going by Fry's in Dallas today. They had ONE 5870 - the Diamond - so I had to buy it for $399. I don't particularly mind paying $399+tax but...

1. It's been a long time since I've owned a Diamond video card - I assume pretty much all 5870s are about the same right now, all based closely on the AMD reference anyway right?
  2. The warranty is only 2 years per the box - XFX is lifetime but not in stock @ Newegg.
Anyone have recent experience with Diamond video cards?

Do I keep the Diamond or wait until I can get an XFX online someplace, save a little $ and get a lifetime warranty?

I wanted the XFX card. It alluded me on 3 separate occasions. I went with Diamond and I haven't had any issues, this is my 2nd Diamond card.

If your going to lose sleep over it take it back or resell it.

I've read worse things about sapphire.

I did the same thing. Bought one local at Fry's for $400. Gonna hold on to it for 29 days...

I get to have my fun now, then reevaluate just before the return window is up. we'll see whats out there a month from now, then decide :D

I made the mistake of going by Fry's in Dallas today. They had ONE 5870 - the Diamond - so I had to buy it for $399. I don't particularly mind paying $399+tax but...

1. It's been a long time since I've owned a Diamond video card - I assume pretty much all 5870s are about the same right now, all based closely on the AMD reference anyway right?
  2. The warranty is only 2 years per the box - XFX is lifetime but not in stock @ Newegg.

Do I keep the Diamond or wait until I can get an XFX online someplace, save a little $ and get a lifetime warranty?

I've had my Diamond 4870x2OC (diff machine from sig rig) since November of last year. No probs with it so far....knock on wood.

I doubt the diamond is of any less quality then the others. Slap the Asus Bios on that badboy and let it shine :).

I've owned a couple of Diamond cards in the past and never had a problem with either of them.

But, as previously stated, if you're really that worried, take it back once a XFX card comes available.

Computer hardware is pretty reliable and loses its value fast. In 2 years if it dies it won't cost much to replace.

Computer hardware is pretty reliable and loses its value fast. In 2 years if it dies it won't cost much to replace.

This statement is true but lets say it dies in 3 months or even a year from now? Hows their customer support compared to XFXs? It would be different I suppose if the card cost less but at the same price XFX all the way!

This statement is true but lets say it dies in 3 months or even a year from now? Hows their customer support compared to XFXs? It would be different I suppose if the card cost less but at the same price XFX all the way!

This is true but I don't hear of video cards dieing that often. Last one I had die was about 6 years ago and it was heavily overclocked and outside its warranty by the time it went. Plus I didn't watch my temps. I got a Power Color and their support might not be as good as XFX but I emailed them a question about their warranty and got a response the same day and about an hour after I sent it. Made test the waters with Diamond and their customer support responses. Something else I have seen in the forums is 2 or 3 XFX cards that have been DOA. Maybe not a big deal given they are probably the most purchased.

Happened to go by Fry's again yesterday - they had XFX 5870s in stock for the same price as Diamonds. Bought an XFX, it's installed now and the Diamond is going back tomorrow.

XFX has a lifetime warranty and comes with a certificate for a free copy of Dirt 2 when it comes out. For the same price, no brainer.

The XFX packaging seems to be better. The Diamond is packed in a box only slightly taller and longer than the card itself. If the box is dropped on it's end, the card could actually slide down and be right next to the edge of the box. The XFX is packed in a box nearly twice as tall and ~2 inches longer than the Diamond box and the XFX card is completely surrounded by foam so it cannot move at all inside the box.

I did the same thing. Bought one local at Fry's for $400. Gonna hold on to it for 29 days...

I get to have my fun now, then reevaluate just before the return window is up. we'll see whats out there a month from now, then decide :D

lol, you guys are funny, I mean why don't you guys wait until they have the xfx in stock, its not that I give a damn although I do work at frys, It is funny when I tell a customer when i have to explain an open box, specially when it comest to video cards, they don't believe me for shit, oh there is something wrong with when I tell them people use it for 29 days and return it lol. You know what though thanks to people who do this frys is going to be charging restocking fee on video cards in near future. Like I said I don't give a damn what anyone does, but it is going to suck for customers who have a legit reason for returning a video card.

You know what though thanks to people who do this frys is going to be charging restocking fee on video cards in near future. Like I said I don't give a damn what anyone does, but it is going to suck for customers who have a legit reason for returning a video card.

That would suck. I like fry's and their return program. Seems like I always get what I want from Fry's.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5252754&CatId=3669

They XFX have been in stock since Friday. I ordered mine on Friday and I already got my Tracking number :)

Last edited:
Sonofander said:

I get to have my fun now, then reevaluate just before the return window is up. we'll see whats out there a month from now, then decide
An obvious abuse of the law that are installed for the purpose of protecting customers from getting ripped off. If all people were thinking like this douche, the law will eventually get reworked, which will for future reference, put honest customers in a worse position.

here is how it works at frys, every store is different and the store manager is who it all depends on, I mean obviously the economy has not bounced back yet so they are doing anything to keep customers coming back and in our store we go to every extent to take care of the customer when it comes to returns, but it is sad and really sad when people start taking advantage of that, I am sure when the economy bounces back the companies wont be that desparate for some customers that seem to just basically rent something knowing they could return it in 30 days, it happens all the time at our store, the funny thing is the people that deserved to be charged restocking fee get away with it and nice ones get axed. I truly feel bad for some people in that case.

That would suck. I like fry's and their return program. Seems like I always get what I want from Fry's.

they talk about restocking fees and shit but it hasn't happened yet, lol, but if stuff like this continous than they are bound to change some rules.

lol, you guys are funny, I mean why don't you guys wait until they have the xfx in stock, its not that I give a damn although I do work at frys, It is funny when I tell a customer when i have to explain an open box, specially when it comest to video cards, they don't believe me for shit, oh there is something wrong with when I tell them people use it for 29 days and return it lol. You know what though thanks to people who do this frys is going to be charging restocking fee on video cards in near future. Like I said I don't give a damn what anyone does, but it is going to suck for customers who have a legit reason for returning a video card.

What I find funny is someone who works at Frys saying that using the return policy is abuse. Here's what your web site says:

30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Your satisfaction is our success! We strive to provide our customers with the highest level of service possible. From first visit to order delivery, we want you to be completely satisfied with your experience. All products carry a 30 day satisfaction guarantee beginning from the day product is shipped from our warehouse, unless otherwise noted.

You're clearly pitching the return policy as a selling point. If you don't like something, we'll take it back. That is a good policy and it gets you sales you wouldn't otherwise get. Yes, it can be abused by renting things for 29 days constantly, buying something and breaking it and returning it, etc. People who do that can be flagged and have their returns disallowed - not rocket science.

Buying a video card and then finding the exact same card a week later with a lifetime warranty and a $40 game included caused me to be dissatisfied with my original purchase. I boxed up the card in all its original packaging precisely like it was when I bought it and I am within the timeframe allowed. Will I look to buy an XFX online, save $30 and return the XFX to Frys? Nope, too much hassle and I'm glad to give Frys the sale and support them making money. If I did do this, would it be abuse? Nope.

Question: If the return policy isn't really a satisfaction guarantee, what are valid reasons for return? Why advertise it as a satisfaction guarantee at all?

I'd be willing to bet $100 that Frys in Dallas won't be charging a restock fee on video cards any time in the next 12 months - they're doing just fine, the place is packed every time I go in there.

Lancediamond said:
Question: If the return policy isn't really a satisfaction guarantee, what are valid reasons for return? Why advertise it as a satisfaction guarantee at all?
I believe your mistaking the meaning of satisfaction in form of it's performance/user experience, and with the abuse of returning and swapping it with the exact same hardware just different label, cause you lack the patience of waiting for the XFX version to be in stock. Returning policy was ment to protect people from getting cheated in form of getting a bad product, it wasn't ment to cover impatient greedy people.

Ive had 3 diamond with 4870's and no problems with rma on one of them .they have great rma service.

I believe your mistaking the meaning of satisfaction in form of it's performance/user experience, and with the abuse of returning and swapping it with the exact same hardware just different label, cause you lack the patience of waiting for the XFX version to be in stock. Returning policy was ment to protect people from getting cheated in form of getting a bad product, it wasn't ment to cover impatient greedy people.

So now I'm "greedy" and "impatient"? Actually I can be impatient, so you're not far off there. Greedy? Not even close. 50% on the name calling - not bad considering you don't know me.

I think we're splitting hairs over the meaning of the word "satisfaction" now. In your mind, I'm taking advantage if I don't just suffer through with a poorer warranty from a manufacturer that I'm not entirely comfortable with and no game included. In my mind, I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong and wouldn't be returning the Diamond if I thought I was somehow cheating Frys.

Frys isn't some poor mom and pop store being crushed by "greedy" people abusing their return policy. They're making money and they use their satisfaction guarantee as a marketing tool to get more business than they'd otherwise get. This is just smart marketing by Frys.

When I go to return the Diamond, you know what I'll tell them? I'll say I found the same card with a better warranty and a game included for the same price. I'll mention it was Frys that had it but if it wasn't Frys, I'd tell them that too. And this will be ok because it's within their policy and they'll thank me for my business - as they should. In the end Frys makes money and has a happy customer who will return to buy again and again. I've been shopping @ Frys since they opened in Dallas and will continue to do so.

I doubt I'll convince you I'm right (even though I clearly am) and I know you're not changing my mind (you could have called me impatient and stubborn and been 100% on the name calling) so I probably won't reply any more to this thread.

PS - here are pics of the XFX and Diamond boxes and cards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41284112@N00/4005329353
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41284112@N00/4005329523

Which Dallas store did you go to, I don't want to waste my time going to that one when I can go to one of the other ones for the XFX card.

As far as the whole return policy and how it is abuse to use it, get over it. Fry's and all the other retailers out there jump at any chance they get to screw the consumer. You don't like then don't do it, just my $.02

Plano Frys had only one Diamond 5870 in stock a week ago today.
Irving Frys had several XFX 5870s in stock as of Saturday - and they're about to have at least one open box Diamond in stock. :p

That's a 10% discount right there. :D Plano and Irving are both close to me so I will check those. Thanks.

What I find funny is someone who works at Frys saying that using the return policy is abuse. Here's what your web site says:

You're clearly pitching the return policy as a selling point. If you don't like something, we'll take it back. That is a good policy and it gets you sales you wouldn't otherwise get. Yes, it can be abused by renting things for 29 days constantly, buying something and breaking it and returning it, etc. People who do that can be flagged and have their returns disallowed - not rocket science.

Buying a video card and then finding the exact same card a week later with a lifetime warranty and a $40 game included caused me to be dissatisfied with my original purchase. I boxed up the card in all its original packaging precisely like it was when I bought it and I am within the timeframe allowed. Will I look to buy an XFX online, save $30 and return the XFX to Frys? Nope, too much hassle and I'm glad to give Frys the sale and support them making money. If I did do this, would it be abuse? Nope.

I'd be willing to bet $100 that Frys in Dallas won't be charging a restock fee on video cards any time in the next 12 months - they're doing just fine, the place is packed every time I go in there.

dude chill alright, I could care less what you return at frys, all I am saying is didn't you know what the hell you were buying before you bought it, you could return everything you ever buy for all I care, it is not even about frys, it is just common sense, buy what you want and what you need, dont buy something to play around with for 29 days, and than return it to get something else, for all I care you can do whatever you want and if I was the return guy I would happily accept your return because you are not hurting my feelings, I just think that if you are gonna return something and out loud admit that you are just renting it for 29 days, don't brag about it, it just makes you look bad, thats about it. satisfaction is guaranteed but if you buy something knowing that it is not going to satisfy you than yea you really should let others make your purchases. Trust me you have no idea how much I would love to graduate from school already and move on from my job.

plus I don't browse here to argue with people, do what you want, after all I don't think this thread is about return policy so good lluck with whatever do, ur money do what you want with it, lol.

diamond used to make lots of good card back in the old days. Monster 3d. Stealth II S220. No idea if its even the same company or if someone else owns the name now, but it used to be good.

Last edited:
diamond is the same company I think, most of the ati branded ones that are at frys are packaged by diamond.

Back