Diamond Max 9 drive board just died, possible to replace and get data?

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
the control board for my Maxtor SATA diamond max (9?) drive just seems to have died on me, anyone know if I can buy a second drive, swap boards and get at the data? I am willing to waste a drive if i can get the data, I *may* have an incomplete backup from 1 month ago but this has alot of important data, and it died right after my yearly windows reinstall which meant all my data from raid 1 array was backed up onto it.

yes it can be done, the trick is matching the exact model
small changes in the parent model line can have serious effects (slightly different chips\improvenments, algrithms, firmware, drive architecture\low level data structures ect)

example for my 40GB WDs

WD400BB-00CAA0
WD400BB-00DEA0

might or might not be cross compatible

why I am certain: while moving a fan I see a screw drop in slow motion, then hear the sound of electronics shorting and me yelling and killing power.

My drive is from july 2003, I'll try to look for similar dated model in town later today.
Anyone know if the connections between the drive and board are pin / snap or soldered? I am hoping pin connections like my IBM drives have.

Originally posted by Suicidal Insanity
why I am certain: while moving a fan I see a screw drop in slow motion, then hear the sound of electronics shorting and me yelling and killing power.
I did that to a videocard once. One way to learn why it's important to shutdown, disconnect, and drain the power from your machine before you go stabbing a screwdriver in there. Contact Maxtor maybe - see if they'll sell you a board at cost?

yeah, thats backup plan if i cant find a drive, think they would do that or even have an older board in stock?
however If i can get a drive locally today it would be alot nicer.
irony of this is i was moving the fan cause the drive was getting quite warm, and that killed it

Originally posted by dewhite
why it's important to shutdown, disconnect, and drain the power from your machine

and reconnect the ground ;)

thanks guys, got my data back. called up maxtor, they couldn't replace board but they told me what series were compatible, then went to the local store, they had a drive which matched, just swapped boards booted and now quickly putting all data on my deathstar raid 1 array. I may be able to RMA the fried drive and then have SATA raid 1.

Originally posted by Suicidal Insanity
got my data back. called up maxtor, told me what series were compatible

seems we have a bright light here :p

Congratz :D

thx :D
these are my fav hardware forums, even if i mainly lurk, just nice to get quick useful feedback :) (and look at pictures of pretty cases :D )

Back