Diamond HD7970 poor overclocker

valkrien

Limp Gawd
I just replaced my GTX580 with this based on the [H] review of how well they overclock. I have an 850w XFX Black PSU plugged into it. Anyhow, I cannot, no matter how I finesse this card to get above 1025 overclock. The temps never go above 75. I tried the voltage adjuster and gave it 20% extra juice, but same thing. I will be playing a game, and the "Display Driver has failed to respond" error keeps popping up in a few minutes. Bone stock speeds, everything is totally fine. Leaving the memory clock alone and adjusting the core doesn't seem to change anything. It'll artifact for a second, then crash to desktop. I am pretty disappointed at this point. Going to return this to FRY's tomorrow and if they have any left, try another one.

1125 1575 on my diamond, guess it's just the luck of the draw, sorry for your luck. I'd say return for another one.

Haha. I just realized how old my sig is. Awesome. Anyhow, going to try sapphire trixx right now and see how that goes. I used the catalyst voltage adjuster previously up to the max of 20%. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference so far.

1125 1575 on my diamond, guess it's just the luck of the draw, sorry for your luck. I'd say return for another one.

Or you actually know what you're doing as opposed to the OP who calls powertune a "voltage adjuster"...

Why don't you explain to the OP that basically all powetune does is allow for higher tdp and has nothing to do with volts, instead of being a DICK.

Dang harsh. It's my first AMD card since the x1800xt. Never had these options before. Been on the green team for years.

Why don't you explain to the OP that basically all powetune does is allow for higher tdp and has nothing to do with volts, instead of being a DICK.

Because he posted a thread making a false generalization blaming a manufacturer for his own shortcomings when all the 7970s out are essential exactly the same cards with a different sticker slapped on top. /shrug

Because he posted a thread making a false generalization blaming a manufacturer for his own shortcomings when all the 7970s out are essential exactly the same cards with a different sticker slapped on top. /shrug

Where did he blame a manufacturer? He said his card didn't overclock - I didn't see any generalizations.

Doesn't give you any right to go into DICK MODE on the internet, genius. Ever heard of being nice to people and leaving this world a better place in the process? Obviously not.

Let's hope you NEVER in your life have a computer problem...you might get bitten in the butt with your own medicine.
(Sorry, this is directed at Lorien for flaming).

Last edited:
Diamond here too.

My card will do 1125|1575 from the CCC as well.

Best wishes with getting things ironed out or getting a card that makes you happy :)

Last edited:
Sapphire Trixx did the job. Thank you for those who guided me correctly as I was going to exchange this card unnecessarily. I am at a stable, but toasty @85c, overclock of 1125 and 1500.

ouch, post your results in the overclock thread. With a serial number or part number if possible. This might help us with more info about bad overclocking cards

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones as I can't get mine Diamond 7970 to run at 1125/1525 at stock volts. The temps are max at 75 C under load, but after a while I start to get some artifacts. I've been testing in both BF3 and the Heaven benchmark. I upped the voltage to 1.87 using Trixx and it seemed to play fine until about an hour into game play, then the artifacts started showing up.

I'm definitely going to play around with it more and see if I can find a happy spot for my card. Hopefully the next driver release may help a little. Either way, I'm certainly can't complain coming from an unlocked 6950.

Doesn't give you any right to go into DICK MODE on the internet, genius. Ever heard of being nice to people and leaving this world a better place in the process? Obviously not.

Let's hope you NEVER in your life have a computer problem...you might get bitten in the butt with your own medicine.
(this is directed at Lorien for flaming).

fixed

Sapphire Trixx did the job. Thank you for those who guided me correctly as I was going to exchange this card unnecessarily. I am at a stable, but toasty @85c, overclock of 1125 and 1500.

Did you have to raise the voltage to ge the card stable at that OC? Also what game or benchmark did you run that gave those temps?

I have my HD 7970 running stable using the max 1125/1575 settings in AMD Overdrive. Max temp is around 78 after about an hour in Skyrim. I think for the price you paid you should bring it back. Escepcially considering you came from a GTX 580.

Great news. I have a pair of the Diamond cards that will both do the max CCC overclock without issue with +20 powertune. 2 hours of BF3 last night my max temp on the top card was 72c. I have my cards flashed to the ASUS BIOS (so I can easily unlock the higher clocks with ASUSTweak) that might have a better fan profile than Diamond. Regardless I'd recommend you try setting a custom fan profile. IMHO most stock profiles start to ramp up far to slowly and keep the fan well under 50% in the name of keeping the card quiet. 85c is a "little" warm. I like to keep mine in the neighborhood of 70c.

GL :D

used Afterburner with mine and had no problems getting a stable 1125/1575

Taking this card back after all. I've been using the card at stock speeds after the overclocking attempt. The temps on this thing are crazy high. Playing Trine 2 the card gets up to 91c then shuts the entire computer down. I thought maybe the thermal paste. So, I removed the shroud and heatsink and changed it out for AS5. Exactly the same results. Overheating then shutting down. Hopefully they still have another one in stock as my rock stable 580 is already sold and gone. :mad:

hopefully you can switch to another brand or maybe that was just a bad card. My saphire at 1125/1575 never goes above 82C in furmark even after an hour

Taking this card back after all. I've been using the card at stock speeds after the overclocking attempt. The temps on this thing are crazy high. Playing Trine 2 the card gets up to 91c then shuts the entire computer down. I thought maybe the thermal paste. So, I removed the shroud and heatsink and changed it out for AS5. Exactly the same results. Overheating then shutting down. Hopefully they still have another one in stock as my rock stable 580 is already sold and gone. :mad:

91c even with the TIM replaced? Wow! Are you sure the fan is spinning? :p Ya, take it back for sure.

I would say good call on the return, you got yourself a clearly defective card for sure. Good luck on the replacement.

Just got back from Frys with the new card. Last one there! Same brand, Diamond. So far, the same game Trine 2 that I was playing which took me to 91c is now maxing out at 66c. Interestingly enough, the return guy at Fry's said that he already had 1 Asus and 2 Diamond 7970's returned or exchanged. Didn't say why though.

Back