Diamond Edge (Nvidia NV1) on eBay

Discussion in 'eBay Auctions' started by dexvx, Jul 2, 2018.

1. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

Since Erek has been posting some vintage stuff, guess I should too. These are NOT mine. I'm looking for one, but obviously can't pay THOSE kinds of prices :(

A bit of history is that NV1 was a pretty big flop that almost cratered Nvidia. It featured quadratic texture mapping (not compatible with Direct3D, which is polygon rendering), playback only sound processing, and a joystick port. Basically meant to be an all in one gaming card. NV2 was a followup, but Nvidia canceled that project. NV3 was the Riva 128, which changed to polygon rendering for Direct3D support, and the rest is history.

There are 2 versions...

This is the higher tier version, it has connectors to take an additional memory (4MB total)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-NV1...-RARE-Original-NVIDIA-Video-Card/223037121781

This is the value version, it has already been upgraded (via dimm sockets) to 2MB
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Diamond-Edge-3D-2120-NVIDIA-NV1-PCI-Graphics-Card-Rare/323323935266

GoldenTiger, ssnyder28 and erek like this.
  2. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry missed this post somehow, but awesome

auntjemima likes this.
  3. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

This YouTuber has the NV1 as one of his Holy Grails sought after currently:

PixelPipes-Today at 11:24 PM

My holy grail graphics cards are NVIDIA NV1 Rendition V1000 Volari Duo V8 Ultra Voodoo5 5500 Mac PCI GeForce 256 64MB DDR

4. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

erek likes this.
  5. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

not yet

6. MixManSC

MixManSC [H]ardness Supreme

I really need to go digging in boxes and drawers. I'm a packrat and have tons of old crap around. Then again, both of those in the OP are just things for sale and not an indication of value. What someone is trying to sell something for versus what something actually sells for (or people are willing to pay at any given point in time) are two very different things. Most recent one sold on eBay for $214 (permanent non-upgradeable memory). I've seen that a lot over the years with buying certain collectible things - some says well they are $xxxx on eBay! Yes, and they are still on there

Regardless - interesting to see the prices some of this old hardware fetches. I know I have probably a couple of dozen various PCI, AGP, and probably even a few ISA and EISA video and other cards around.

GoldenTiger and erek like this.
  7. scharfshutze009

scharfshutze009 [H]ard|Gawd

This card might not have supported DirectX if not OpenGL either, but it's significant because it was one of the first cards that could hardware accelerate quads at least for the consumer. The price is to high for me right now though, so I'm watching it until I have enough if it doesn't sell before then.

erek likes this.
  8. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

As explained in my post, it does not support Direct3D because the rendering model is inherently incompatible. I assume the same for OpenGL.

erek likes this.
  9. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

I had one of these in 1996 - my first video card. I actually got Diamond to give me a refund because of false advertising on the card's Direct3D capabilities.

Your have to pay me to take another.

erek likes this.